Database Administrator / Developer - Chicago, IL
AtMDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them —from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can livelonger and grow stronger.
Our Values are ourstrength: We believe in MUSCLE:
- Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress forfamilies and muscle health.
- Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needsand each other’s.
- Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, wedrive the best possible outcomes.
- Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and buildcommunities.
- Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers ourpeople.
- Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceedconstituents’ expectations.
The DatabaseAdministrator administers, maintains, and addresses support issues for MDAapplications and databases. The positiondevelops and implements data naming and structural conventions, implements datamodels, database designs, data access and table maintenance code. In additionto database tasks, the position develops software to meet MDA requirementsusing modern object-oriented design principles and patterns. Maintains andrefactors existing systems as needed. The ideal candidate will have an understandingof the Microsoft web technology stack and SQL Server administration experience. The Database Administrator reports to ITLeadership and works with all levels of the MDA Team.
- Responsible for all MDA databases anddata stores both internal and external including, but not limited to:Salesforce, MDA accounting system, human resources and payroll system, donordatabases, patient databases, staff and organizational databases.
- Install and configure new databaseinstallations and new databases within existing installations.
- Evaluate, recommend and implementautomated tools to aid in database design and construction and in data mining.
- Evaluate, recommend and implement anoverall strategic plan for MDA’s data stores that will maximize efficiency
- Facilitate and implement access to, andintegration of data kept in disparate formats and locations using data miningtechniques and software.
- Creates customized reports, queries andviews.
- Works with Visual Studio 2014 Ultimate& Team Foundation Server to create/maintain Microsoft .Net applications,Visual Basic and MS SQL Server.
- Develops system integrations as needed(APIs, CSV, FTP, etc.).
- Analyzes, designs and developsspecifications and applications for interfaces for both internal and externalexchanges.
- Works with the Quality Analyst to testnew programs, identify/repair defects.
- Resolves support tickets. Knows how to work a ticket queue and abide bySLAs.
- Other duties as assigned.
- ProjectManagement: Develops project plans; Coordinates projects; Communicates changes andprogress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project teamactivities.
- TechnicalSkills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses;Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously buildknowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- CustomerService: Manages difficult or emotional customersituations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback toimprove service. Responds to requests for service and assistance. Meetscommitments.
- OrganizationalSupport: Follows policies and procedures;Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time. Supports organization'sgoals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supportsaffirmative action and respects diversity.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritizes and plans work activities;Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals andobjectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Developsrealistic action plans.
- Adaptability: Adapts to changes in the workenvironment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fitthe situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Must be curious leader, analytical anda self-starter. Motivated to learn andimprove their environment.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Computer Sciencepreferred) and three years of experience as a software developer required.
- Three years’ experience in databaseadministrator required. Experience withdatabase design, management and administration required.
- Experienced with developing andsupporting system integrations.
- Comfortable working in closecollaboration with other IT disciplines and as part of a project team.
- Must be a great at documenting changesand following best practices.
MDA is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Director of Business Development
Nathan works with businesses in the local community to develop new partnerships with MDA. The funds he raises help the organization's mission grow and thrive.
Back to top