Purpose: AtMDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them —from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can livelonger and grow stronger.
Our Values are ourstrength: We believe in MUSCLE:
Mission: We're driven to accelerate progress forfamilies and muscle health.
Understanding: We're attentive to our constituent's needsand each other's.
Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, wedrive the best possible outcomes.
Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers ourpeople.
Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceedconstituents' expectations.
A Database Administrator developsand implements policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrityof the company databases. The Database Administrator develops and implementsdata naming and structural conventions in accordance with MDA's softwaredevelopment staff. The DatabaseAdministrator implements data models, database designs, data access and tablemaintenance code in collaboration with MDA's software development staff. The Database Administrator administers andmaintains databases and resolves database performance issues, database capacityissues, replication, fail-over and other distributed data issues. The Database Administrator implementscross-platform data manipulation, integration and data mining. The DatabaseAdministrator demonstrates familiarity with various database productsincluding, but not limited to: Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Access,Microsoft Excel and MySQL. TheDatabase Administrator recommends data architecture and database related solutionsby defining database physical & logical structure as well as functionalcapabilities/requirements, database security, data back-up, and recoveryspecifications. The DatabaseAdministrator creates and maintains methods for efficient ad-hoc and programmaticdata access, including Structured Query Language (SQL) stored procedures andother code designed to facilitate business needs. The Database Administrator works closely withthe entire Information Services team and secondarily with all levels of the MDATeam.
- MonitorMDA's data systems and address any maintenance issues including issuespertaining to: Performance, reliability,logs, efficiency, design, redundancy systems, failover systems, upgrades andpatches.
- Responsible for all MDA databases anddata stores both internal and external including, but not limited to: MDAaccounting system, human resources and payroll system, donor databases, patientdatabases, staff and organizational databases.
- Install and configure new databaseinstallations and new databases within existing installations.
- Establish and maintain data back-upsystems.
- Import,export, filter and otherwise maintain data for those systems that are theresponsibility of the IT Department.
- Collaboratewith MDA's software development staff to design databases that best addresscustomer needs.
- Developpolicies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of MDA's datastores. Prepare and maintaindocumentation to describe these policies and procedures.
- Developpolicies and standards for MDA's data design and construction. Prepare and maintain documentation todescribe these policies and procedures.
- Evaluate,recommend and implement automated tools to aid in database design andconstruction and in data mining.
- Evaluate,recommend and implement an overall strategic plan for MDA's data stores thatwill maximize efficiency and reliability and reduce duplication.
- Facilitateand implement access to, and integration of data kept in disparate formats andlocations using data mining techniques and software.
- ProjectManagement: Develops project plans;Coordinates projects; Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects ontime and budget; Manages project team activities.
- TechnicalSkills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training anddevelopment opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills;Shares expertise with others.
- CustomerService: Manages difficult oremotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicitscustomer feedback to improve service. Responds to requests for service andassistance. Meets commitments.
- OrganizationalSupport - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative taskscorrectly and on time. Supports organization's goals and values; Benefitsorganization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action andrespects diversity.
- Planning/Organizing- Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans foradditional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules otherpeople and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Adaptability- Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changesapproach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequentchange, delays, or unexpected events.
- Bachelor's Degree (Information Technology preferred) and three years' experience in database administrator role required.Experience with database design, management and administration required.
- Experience with implementing and maintaining standard Database Disaster Recovery (DR) best practices.
- Experience with High Availability (HA) database design, architecture, deployment and support, including Windows Server Failover Clustering (WSFC) is highly desired.
- Experience in deployment of databases across Storage Area Networks (SAN), including RAID considerations, SQLIO, SAN Multipathing, etc.
- Comfortable working in close collaboration with other IT disciplines; collaboration includes: code reviews, review of work by Quality Assurance, project oversight by a project manager and design and implementation collaboration with other MDA developers.
MDA is an EqualOpportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receiveconsideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex,national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Sabrina’s primary responsibility is working with the Fundraising Team at MDA to spread awareness about the organization’s mission and raise as much money as possible for the cause.
Back to top