Corporate Paralegal - New York, NY
Our Purpose: At MDA, we are fighting to free individuals — and the families who love them — from the harmful effects of muscle-debilitating diseases so they can live longer and grow stronger.
Our Values are our strength: We believe in MUSCLE:
- Mission: We’re driven to accelerate progress for families and muscle health.
- Understanding: We’re attentive to our constituent’s needs and each other’s.
- Stewardship: By investing precious resources wisely, we drive the best possible outcomes.
- Collaboration: We foster win-win partnerships and build communities.
- Learning: Knowledge powers our success and empowers our people.
- Excellence: We strive to do our best and exceed constituents’ expectations.
The Paralegal is a skilled, detail-minded and highly organized individual who provides key daily support to the Chief Legal Officer. The Paralegal will often work independently and interface with multiple MDA staff, leadership and third parties under the supervision of the Chief Legal Officer. The Paralegal should have exceptional verbal, written and computer skills and should maintain the strictest confidentiality of all legal matters.
- Provide key support daily to the Chief Legal Officer in various legal matters such as contracts, leases, trademarks, insurance, risk management, litigation, healthcare, fundraising, human resources, procurement and operations.
- Assist in preparing and maintaining Legal Department budget.
- Processes invoices for legal fees, reimbursements, and other expenses within the approved budget.
- Perform legal and internet research as may be necessary.
- Prepare and update reports as requested by the Chief Legal Officer.
- Safeguards access to confidential information.
- Handle myriad administrative duties, such as transcription and preparation of correspondence, i.e. letters, memos, emails, scheduling of teleconferences, etc.
- Organize and maintain comprehensive electronic and hard copy files, databases, spreadsheets and calendars.
- Monitor email account and transmit communications on behalf of Chief Legal Officer.
- Answer phone, direct calls and respond to messages as necessary for CLO.
- Perform other administrative duties as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer.
- Detail minded: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail while multitasking.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively. Initiative - Demonstrate ability to work independently and as part of a team; exhibit sound and accurate judgment, including prioritization and time management skills. Able to provide support to multiple team members simultaneously.
- Computer Skills: Advanced level proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs, ability to learn and adapt to new technologies.
- Customer Service: Prioritizes internal and external interactions and responds appropriately.
- Professionalism: Work well in a fast-paced environment; treat others with respect and consideration; accept responsibility for own actions; positive/upbeat attitude.
- Flexibility: Able to multitask in a changing work environment. Manage competing demands and unexpected events. Willing to change approach to best fit the situation.
- Bachelors’ degree
- 3-5 years of experience as a Paralegal in a law firm or in-house law department
- Paralegal certification required
- Excellent writing and proofreading/editing skills are essential
- Strong attention to detail and organization
- Ability to interact well with professional of all levels within the organization and with vendors.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Meet Some of MDA's Employees
Caity B.Development Specialist
Caity oversees events in the Northeast Texas territory and develops new partnerships within existing programs in order to offer the best possible services to patients.
Back to top