Chief of Staff
The Chief of Staff reports to the CEO and is a key role in enabling the CEO to work most effectively with internal and external stakeholders and fulfill her commitments to MDA partners, funders and the Board of Directors. S/He is a highly strategic, resourceful, and facilitative individual with strong emotional intelligence, self-motivation, and strong analytical skills. The Chief of Staff has oversight of all activities related to the execution of the Board's governance responsibilities and helps manage projects for the Office of the CEO.
- Act as a key thought partner and advisor to the CEO and executive team by identifying priorities, brainstorming ideas, and implementing solutions.
- Build and maintain thorough understanding of all organizational functions to effectively manage and support planning and execution of strategic initiatives and projects and provide recommendation and guidance to the CEO on actionable items.
- Provide various high-level organizational support to the CEO including, but not limited to, prioritization of tasks and preparation and facilitation of meetings.
- Actively identify and present opportunities for the CEO to engage with internal and external stakeholders to support organizational initiatives and promote brand recognition.
- Maintain inventory of critical projects in which the CEO is leading, involved in, or especially interested with preparedness to apprise the CEO of status regularly or as needed.
- Collaborate with the Executive staff or other key stakeholders to ensure CEO's needs and expectations are conveyed, understood, and agreed upon and needs and/or concerns are conveyed from the Executive team back to the CEO.
- Manage cross-functional projects or initiatives involving collaboration with various stakeholders and high level of planning.
- Develop and manage calendar of upcoming CEO communication events (articles, columns, speeches, panel discussions, etc.) and prepare and facilitate work with necessary stakeholders.
- Prepare and distribute correspondence on behalf of the CEO for internal and external audiences.
- Support, manage and facilitate meetings and events, including the Board of Directors and Committee Meetings, including logistics planning, development and distribution of meeting materials, creation of objectives and agenda, taking minutes, and dissemination of outcomes, decisions, and actions to all relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare and distribute regular communications to the Board of Directors including updates from the CEO, news, educational information and other miscellaneous information.
- Support legal in the development, distribution, and tracking of governance documentation and execution of governance actions.
- Develop and manage budgets for governance and other various projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Communication Skills: Clearly and persuasively communicate, listen and seek clarifications; participate in meetings, write clearly and informatively. Initiative - Demonstrate ability to work independently and as part of a team; exhibit sound and accurate judgment, including prioritization and time management skills. Able to provide support to multiple team members simultaneously.
- Results Orientation: Results Orientation is about being focused on improvement of business results. Influences, introduces improvements and/or transforms a business for significantly improved results.
- Detail Orientated: Demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness; monitor own work to ensure quality and organization. Strong attention to detail while multitasking.
- Diagnostic Information Gathering: The ability to identify the information needed to clarify a situation, seek that information from appropriate sources, and use skillful questioning to draw out the information, when others are reluctant to disclose it.
- Thoroughness: Ensuring that one's own and others' work and information are complete and accurate; carefully preparing for meetings and presentations; following up with others to ensure that agreements and commitments have been fulfilled.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Bachelor's degree required, MBA preferred.
- At least seven years' experience as a Chief of Staff or in a similar role.
- At least seven years' experience working closely with a Board of Directors.
- A highly analytical, strategic, and structured thinker with a strong sens of integrity and the ability to influence others.
- Proven project management skills including the ability to drive, implement multiple projects and ideas in a changing environment.
- Strong, clear, and effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with leaders in all sectors (business, medical, political, education, etc).
- Strong executive presence with superior relationship cultivation skills.
MDA is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Back to top