Technical Product Manager - Agriculture Commodity Research Engine (ACRE), New Ventures
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent area
- 5+ years of experience in product management roles, including experience in strategic product management, product marketing and product design
- Ability to develop product roadmaps and functional specifications, launch new products, conduct customer research, and facilitate user testing
- Experience working directly with Engineers and UX designers in an Agile development environment
- Excellent organizational, presentation, and writing skills
- Ability to successfully interact across functions at all levels of an organization and with customers
- Entrepreneurial spirit with desire to work in fast-paced, start-up environment, with the ability to consistently deliver exceptional results on demanding timelines
- Strong strategic aptitude; proven ability to define a winning business strategy and product roadmap and gain buy-in from stakeholders at all levels
- Excellent customer experience intuition; demonstrated success in creating innovative and user-friendly products and customer-facing features
- Technical fluency; comfort understanding and discussing technology concepts, schedule tradeoffs and new opportunities with technical team members
- Hands-on skills working with SQL and No-SQL databases
- Broad experience across the following application development technologies and in-depth skills with at least one: NodeJS, .Net, Java and/or other open source application development frameworks
- Cloud infrastructure knowledge with AWS, with Azure or Google
- Experience with container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with our Agriculture Commodity Research Engine (ACRE) team in Chicago. ACRE is part of McKinsey's New Ventures.
The ACRE team is part of the Agriculture Practice and it applies advanced analytics and big data techniques to global agricultural markets, driving insights at the micro and macro levels. Our Agriculture Practice advises agribusiness, consumer food, government, and investor clients on strategic and operations issues, helping support industry-shaping decisions that impact the future of global food production.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for – and expands our investment in – our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You will lead a team of 3-5 data engineers, working side-by-side with experienced agribusiness professionals and geospatial data scientists to innovate the industry from farm to cloud.
As a Technical Product Manager, you will lead product strategy and oversee the development of ACRE's solution suite. You will deploy creative agricultural analytics in cloud computer settings and participate in building scalable and deployable analytical solutions. You will build and execute product roadmaps and sharpen your product management capabilities, while quickly acquiring knowledge in a variety of topics of key import to our agribusiness clientele.
In this role, you will work hand-in-hand with content experts to shape the vision of ACRE software products and solve company-level issues for our clients. These issues could include predicting future market price trends, determining the value of new technologies, incorporating market and crop data to predict trade flows, or optimizing agricultural operations in developing economies. You will manage a team of engineers to streamline insight into these issues and build a product that delivers faster, more impactful insights to our clients.
You will develop and continuously deepen your expertise in product management through this role, specializing in agriculture and developing your problem-solving skills as well as teamwork and leadership skills. You will have opportunities to work closely with and learn from our senior agriculture practitioners, and work directly with industry players that are shaping the future of food production.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top