Talent Specialist - New Ventures
- Undergraduate or advanced degree from an accredited institution
- 4+ years of experience in the talent space, ideally at a professional services company or start-up (e.g., Human Resources, Operations, Recruiting, Finance)
- Passion for contributing to building something new within the Firm
- Exceptional process management skills and detail orientation
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of specific processes
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written) at all levels
- Desire and ability to learn quickly and understand the broader ecosystem of New Ventures
- Ability to work under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort with ambiguity combined with an attention to detail
- Strong project and operational leadership skills
- Ability to build and leverage a strong global network
- A non-hierarchical, collaborative approach
- Ability to manage multiple stakeholders with at times conflicting priorities
- Integrity, maturity, and fairness in dealing with people and confidential information
- Open to the occasional unconventional hours required to ensure connectivity to global team
Who You'll Work With
You'll be joining as Talent Specialist with McKinsey's New Ventures Talent Management team in North America (ideally, Chicago, New Jersey, or Washington DC, with some flexibility for exceptional candidates).
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You will work with a set Manager or Managers across one or several Solutions within New Ventures to drive people processes—recruiting, onboarding, learning, evaluation, compensation, mobility, etc.—in support of the growth and success of the Solution(s).
You will also have global reach. You will develop close working relationships with the Manager(s) of Talent and their respective teams, also the solution teams, as well as colleagues in other New Ventures people functions such as recruiting, learning, compensation, and HR. Your core responsibilities will be centered on helping the Manager(s) of Talent and the solution leadership to implement its talent strategy and people processes.
Specific responsibilities will depend on the needs of the Solution, but you will own all or several workstreams, including onboarding processes (e.g., tailoring onboarding experience for new hires based on their career path) and Learning and Professional Development agenda (e.g., working with line managers and individuals in a region to define professional development priorities and appropriate firm learning programs).
You will be responsible for assisting in year-end reviews (e.g., assigning DGLs, working with the administrative team to ensure that year-end reviews are scheduled and launched), Mobility rotations and transfers (e.g., working with local HR teams to facilitate smooth transfers and rotations in and out of solutions as well as within the solutions). You will manage people operations and related processes (e.g., tracking new hires, keeping staff lists current, maintaining training calendars).
You will also work with compensation (e.g., validating people and compensation data, aligning process with sending/receiving cells in the case of transfers or rotations, as well as community building (fostering communities in and across several solutions).
Given the rapid expansion of New Ventures, we anticipate that the successful Specialist will continue to have an abundance of compelling opportunities for career advancement and long-term growth.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top