Senior Software Engineer - Ideas 2 Action
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, computer science or related; Master's degree is a plus
- 5-8 years of experience in software development
- Expert experience in HTML5/CSS
- Experience writing and utilizing JSON RESTful API services and performance tuning applications
- Deep understanding of Agile development methodologies
- Experience with relational and non-relational data stores (e.g., MySQL, MongoDB)
- Direct experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) products such as Aurora, Kinesis, Lambda, Data Pipeline, Code Pipeline, DynamoDB, Elastic Search
- Strong understanding of object oriented design principles
- Familiarity with LDAP
- Kubernetes/Docker or containerization strategy in general
- Experience with Drools is a plus
- Able to work at times without explicit/written design inputs and user interaction descriptions
- Demonstrated ability to translate verbal guidance into functional and attractive web solutions
- Sound problem-solving skills with the ability to quickly process complex information and present it clearly and simply
- Provide technical excellence (whilst adhering to Agile software engineering practices such as DRY, TDD, CI) and leadership/mentorship
Who You'll Work With
You will work with the Ideas 2 Action (i2a) team in either Chicago or New York. i2a is part of McKinsey Solutions and McKinsey's New Ventures.
i2a was launched by McKinsey & Company to further strengthen and extend its consulting services in the retail industry sector. I2a's analytical tools, dashboards, and rules engine provide visibility into key metrics for retail managers and inject McKinsey insights into the day-to-day management of retail establishments.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
Working in conjunction with our i2a staff, you will be responsible for the implementation of all front end/customer interaction features, as well as some API and back end development.
As part of a small, dynamic team working startup-type challenges, you will have a chance to exercise creativity and extend your programming skills while rapidly delivering new capabilities and features for users.
You will have exciting career prospects within an international company, on a team that is considered a start-up, created by a trusted advisor to some of the most influential organizations in the world. You will work on challenging tasks in an innovative state-of-the-art technological environment in small teams of highly motivated colleagues from across the globe.
You will be part of a culture that is casual, fun and social with an emphasis on innovation and education. You will have the opportunity to try new ideas, experiment and be expected to be constantly learning and growing. We also place a strong emphasis on mentoring others enabling us all to grow and learn.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top