Senior Proposal Manager
- Please apply in English
- University degree, preferably in a field related to business or communications
- At least 10 years of experience in a business communications-related field
- Knowledge and experience of competitive proposal/bid processes (ideally in a professional services context)
- Experience working with a range of business communications media (e.g. writing, presentation, video, animation)
- Strong critical reasoning and problem-solving skills
- Excellent influencing and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding editing and persuasive writing skills
- High degree of presence, credibility and confidence in working with senior colleagues
- Empathy and ability to represent the client's perspective in a proposal situation
- Flexibility and the ability to gracefully navigate ambiguity, deadline pressure and conflicting requests
- Self-motivation, with a talent for working entrepreneurially in an unstructured environment
- Strong networking skills to build up an internal 'client base'
- Team orientation, with a strong sense of commitment to team members and client impact
- Analytical abilities to identify trends in proposal activity
- Sensitivity to and discretion in handling confidential information
- Full fluency in English and Dutch; other European languages an advantage
Who You'll Work With
Based in Amsterdam, you'll report to our Western Europe Lead Proposal Expert.
You´ll work as part of a team that includes experts in design, media, competitive intelligence, and other disciplines. This team supports several industry and functional practices across the region through a network of Client Development Hubs (CDHs).
What You'll Do
You'll coach, support and advise colleagues on high-priority proposals across Western Europe.
You'll help teams develop new, distinctive and innovative approaches to proposals that will clearly articulate how McKinsey creates impact for clients. Your in colleagues in Client Development Hubs (CDHs) will be responsible for domain expertise and process management, while you´ll be responsible for ensuring our proposal tactics, materials and meetings are clear, compelling and persuasive.
Acting as a thought leader, you'll raise the game on McKinsey proposals. You'll do this by offering high touch support on individual proposals, helping teams develop effective strategies and tactics at every stage of the process. Your presence – through kick-off, relationship mapping, proposal submision, rehearsal and debrief – will give you a unique strategic role and valuable oversight that helps our strategy and story sing.
Serving as a writer and editor, you'll review and edit proposal documents so that they're compelling and crystal clear, helping to structure, write and revise them. You'll support partners and consultants by helping them analyse decision makers and other firms, so we can develop a clear, strong value proposition that shows how McKinsey is truly different. You'll make our proposals visionary and impactful by advising on the best media, structure, style and content to use.
You'll coach and advise teams throughout the proposal process. You'll brainstorm with them on how to better understand the needs of decision makers. You'll enrich client teams with confidence and polish to deliver winning proposal presentations by giving them constructive feedback, developing ideas and rehearsing presentations with them. You'll debrief proposal outcomes with clients, gaining insight on what we did well and where we could do better.
Taking on the role of proposal champion, you'll develop insights on how our proposals can systematically be more successful. You'll give other guidance and input as needed, for example in helping practice managers improve qualifications packs. Last but not least, as part of the Western Europe Proposal Centre of Excellence, you'll help develop and encourage best practices across the region, creating an innovation centre that transforms opportunities into client impact.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top