Senior Design Researcher- LUNAR
- Bachelor's degree
- 7+ years of experience in product design, strategy consulting, and/or entrepreneurial product development; at least 2 years in a consulting environment
- Strong understanding of, interest in, and passion for design
- Seasoned qualitative researcher with exposure to a variety of methodologies, e.g. field research and ethnography, IDIs, co-creation and prototyping, engaging users remotely, survey design and analysis, segmentation studies.
- Creativity and the urge to experiment when it comes to insights and the design thinking process (i.e., willing and able to go beyond traditional methods when appropriate)
- Genuine interest in collaboration – we work in teams across diverse skill sets, problem-solving styles, and levels of seniority
- Confident and versatile communicator – able to put consumers at ease, inspire designers with visual storytelling, or convey authoritative insights to a senior client
- Familiarity with Keynote, Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop and other creative software is a plus
Who You'll Work With
You'll work in either Chicago or San Francisco as part of LUNAR.
LUNAR is a design and innovation consultancy acquired by McKinsey & Company in May 2015. Our evolving partnership connects imagination with application to design products, services, and experiences that create sustainable growth for our clients – and that people love. We call this union Design Impact. Founded in 1984, LUNAR has studios in San Francisco, Chicago, and Singapore and is part of McKinsey Design, a diverse group of over 300 design experts.
What You'll Do
Equal parts thinker and doer, you are creatively curious and eager to help shape the future of the Insights & Strategy practice in a rapidly growing studio.
LUNAR's Insights & Strategy practice unites end-users, clients, and internal teams to fuel innovation and create outstanding design. With three decades of experience in product design and development, we've learned from hundreds of real product successes that asking (and answering) the right questions makes all the difference.
Design Researchers frame their insights through the lens of the customer, but with an understanding of competitive landscape, product positioning, brand strategy, and other key business drivers. You will lead a range of design engagements, from product and service innovation to identifying new opportunity spaces.
You should have in-depth knowledge and experience in conducting and synthesizing both primary and secondary research into actionable insights. You'll lead day-do-day research work, working closely with teams of industrial designers, mechanical engineers, and traditional McKinsey consultants to translate analyses and insights into specific and actionable recommendations. This may include defining how consumer insight can inform strategic issues, scoping and designing research projects, writing surveys or guides, and structuring and analyzing data.
You'll create persuasive presentations that tell a compelling story using strong writing, thoughtful imagery, and clear visual information design. You'll lead client-facing workshops to define objectives and success criteria, inform project direction, and make substantiated recommendations.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top