Public Sector Practice - Clientele Development Advisor, State & Local Government, Midwest
- Bachelor's degree from a respected institution; Master's degree is preferred but not required
- 7+ years of experience in business development, capture management, and proposal delivery in the Midwest State & Local market
- A deep understanding of the Midwest State and Local government market
- Knowledge of Midwest State and Local government procurement process and how procurement decisions are made
- Strategic knowledge of how a consultancy like McKinsey can maximize the chance of winning new contracts
- Ability to interact collaboratively with consultants and operate as an integral member of the S&L leadership team
- A successful track record developing client relationships within the S&L environment within Midwest State and local clients
- Entrepreneurialism to identify and pursue new initiatives
- Writing and editorial skills to lead a team of writers with the ability to deliver critical sections of proposals and advise senior members of the PSP about how to improve their writing
- Preference for candidates who have worked at large professional-services firms
Who You'll Work With
You'll work in our Chicago office as part of McKinsey's Public Sector Practice (PSP).
The PSP provides management consulting services to governments at the federal, state, and local levels. Due to our unique model, McKinsey is able to bring federal, state and private sector expertise, capabilities and people to provide a distinctive level of impact for our State and Local government clients.
What You'll Do
As a Client Development Advisor (CDA), you'll work closely with Client Service Team (CST) leaders and consultants serving Midwest States (e.g., Illinois, Michigan, Ohio) to expand the firm's impact within the relevant markets by playing a key role in generating new engagements.
You'll follow our Client Development process, which involves responsibilities across Business Development, Capture Management, and Proposal Delivery. You will serve both as an individual contributor and as a key catalyst for collaboration with PSP leaders and associates.
In the business-development phase, you will establish relationships with procurement professionals in target client organizations as well as advise PSP leaders about when and how to pursue opportunities. You will work with CST's to construct comprehensive client account plans and manage the client opportunity pipeline.
Your day-to-day will involve supporting CST's in the development of written materials for client development discussions, and establishing relationships with other consultancies and contractors with whom McKinsey might partner in service to the government.
In this role you will educate client procurement professionals and potential partners about McKinsey's capabilities, attend conferences and industry days where Public Sector contracting opportunities might be discussed, and gather intelligence about upcoming procurements for which McKinsey might be well suited to compete.
You'll serve as a thought partner to the State & Local Midwest CST's about the growth strategy for impact opportunities at target clients. You'll help shape procurements in a compliant manner as they are being formed, making recommendations to PSP leaders and personnel. This effort will also involve developing opportunity-specific competitive intelligence analysis, along with relative strengths and weaknesses of competitors.
In the proposal-delivery phase, you will orchestrate personnel as they write proposals, and write select elements of proposals. You'll review proposals at different stages of the drafting process, and help the drafting team make course corrections where necessary.
Additionally, you'll conduct final compliance and quality review before proposals are submitted, and help the PSP partners and consultants to prepare for oral presentations. You'll also work with PSP partners and contracting specialists to negotiate contract terms and conduct debrief sessions with internal and client personnel.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top