Provider Performance Improvement Consultant
- Bachelor's degree (some preference for major in a scientific field, pharmacy, health policy, actuarial, mathematics and/or statistics); MBA, MS, MD, PhD, PharmD degrees in relevant fields a plus
- 5-7 years' professional experience in a hospital operations setting with an interest in procurement topics (e.g., med/surg supplies, pharmacy, purchased services); open to backgrounds working for GPOs, pharmacos, med device companies and/or healthcare consultancies
- Deep interest and skillset in analytics and a passion for improving the way hospitals source and utilize external spend areas from supplies to pharmaceuticals to purchased services.
- Have a high level of entrepreneurship, professionalism and presence to succeed in a team-based setting on the ground with clients
- Enjoy hand's-on change management and operational implementation involving multiple stakeholders across a hospital organization
- Are sound problem-solvers who can quickly process complex information and present it clearly and simply during change transformation efforts with clients
- Have experience and appetite in analytics and quantitative/data analysis and ideally in the health care sector
- Are comfortable traveling up to 80% of the week to a client site
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with our Healthcare Analytics team based in several offices globally. Healthcare Analytics is part of McKinsey's New Ventures.
The Healthcare Analytics team uses healthcare data (payer / provider / 3rd party data) and analytics to answer some of the most pressing questions our healthcare clients have today such as "How do we manage cost of care while improving quality?", "How do we remain competitive in the evolving healthcare landscape?", "Who are the most vulnerable patients and what interventions can we design to better care for them?".
Our capabilities are foundational to multiple high profile initiatives and have been core to the Healthcare practice in delivering organization wide transformation programs for payors (public and private) or providers. The MHA team has grown to 160+ colleagues globally over the last 4 years. It is a unique mix of Healthcare Experts, physicians, statisticians, engineers, data scientists, and more.
New Ventures is a recently formed part of McKinsey focused on fostering innovations driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile, social and other technologies and integrating them into our client work. It is a foundation for—and expands our investment in—our entrepreneurial culture.
What You'll Do
You'll be actively engaged with front-line client teams involved in helping hospitals implement operational improvements and organizational enhancements that boost cost effectiveness and improve quality of care for patients. You will bring your healthcare expertise, operational experience and analytical skills to bear on topics ranging from clinical operations to revenue cycle management to procurement and workforce management.
You will leverage your expertise to take ownership of tenure-appropriate client relationships and guide clients through appropriate syndication discussions as well as longer-term front-line implementation projects. For example, if working on a procurement project, you will will use your existing clinical or process expertise in procurement to weigh in knowledgeably with clients on issues of clinical equivalency, utilization management and sourcing cost reduction opportunities.
You will deliver the necessary analysis to inform the problem-solving process. You will translate this analysis into actionable insights for your client teams to drive value capture.
You should develop an expertise on at least one Healthcare Analytics asset (e.g., a specific category or delivery solution) and participate in IP development projects contributing to the overall knowledge and capabilities of Healthcare Analytics.
See Inside the Office of McKinsey
McKinsey helps clients facing a whole range of business questions to identify, understand, and analyze their options and make good strategic decisions. Whether it’s a tech giant contemplating a large investment, a pharma company expanding overseas, or a nonprofit looking to increase donations, the McKinsey team knows the ins and outs of the industries it serves and helps its clients tackle tough challenges and make big decisions.
Back to top