Proposal Advisor Germany
- University degree, preferably in a field related to business or communications
- 8-10 years of experience in proposals, business development or professional services marketing; experience in business consulting a plus
- Knowledge of competitive proposal/bid processes (ideally in a professional services context), with ability to represent the client's perspective
- High degree of credibility, confidence and experience working with senior colleagues
- Strong interpersonal communication and influencing skills
- Flexibility to collaborate effectively with all levels of the organisation, often at times of stress
- Superior editing, writing and critical reasoning skills
- Strong networking skills to build up a 'client base'
- Analytical abilities to identify trends in proposal activity
- Self-motivation and entrepreneurship, with an appetite for working in a low-structured, flexible environment
- Absolute attention to detail with the ability to prioritise and simultaneously process multiple tasks whilst still being mindful of the big picture
- Sensitivity to and discretion in handling confidential information
- Full-fluency in German and English
Who You'll Work WithYou'll be based in one of our offices in Germany. You'll work closely with the UK office Proposal Expert and the Western Europe Proposal Centre of Excellence to develop and encourage best practices across the region, innovate our approach, provide consultant training and track competitive activity.
What You'll Do
In this newly created position you'll coach, support and challenge McKinsey consultants (mainly Associate Principals, Partners and Senior Partners) working on competitive proposals across the German offices, which serve a wide variety of clients across all sectors.
You'll help teams develop new, distinctive and innovative approaches to high-priority proposals so that we clearly acticulate how McKinsey creates impact for clients.
Thought leader. You'll raise the game on McKinsey proposals. You'll do this by offering high touch support on individual proposals to help teams develop effective proposal and client engagement strategies. You'll help them analyse competitors and develop clear, strong value propositions to show how McKinsey is truly different. You'll be involved in the entire proposal process from start to end. Your presence – through kick-off, relationship mapping, proposal submision, rehearsal, and debrief – will give you a unique strategic role and valuable oversight that helps our strategy and story sing.
Writer and editor. You'll support partners and consultants by coaching them to analyse decision makers and competitors. You'll help teams translate these insights into a compelling value proposition and proposal. You'll review and edit proposal documents so that they're compelling and crystal clear. You'll make our proposals visionary and impactful by advising on the best media, structure, style, messaging, and content. You'll work nimbly with our teams, helping write and revise sections of the proposal. You'll review and advise on the structure and content of the proposal.
Coach. You'll coach, advise and challenge client teams on how to sharpen competitive proposal strategies, tactics and plans. You'll brainstorm with them on how to build relationships with decision makers during the process. You'll enrich client teams with confidence and polish to deliver winning proposal presentations by giving them constructive feedback, and brainstorming ideas and rehearsing presentations with them. You'll debrief proposal outcomes with clients, providing insight on what we did well and where we could do better.
Proposal champion. Further, you'll offer insights and help us connect the dots on how we can win more competitive proposals. You'll do this with broader support to German client development activities. You'll give guidance, best practice and input as needed. For example, you may help practice managers improve qualifications packs for their practices. Last but not least, you'll be involved with the Western Europe Proposal Centre of Excellence to develop and encourage best practices across the region, creating an innovation centre that transforms opportunities into client impact.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top