Operations Consultant - Heathcare Analytics & Delivery, New Ventures
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree (some preference for major in a scientific field, pharmacy, health policy, actuarial, mathematics and/or statistics); MBA, MS, MD, PhD, PharmD degrees in relevant fields a plus
- 3-5+ years professional experience in payor and/or provider operations; claims processing and adjudication, provider relationships, payment processing.
- Understanding of the principles of change management and performance metrics and dialogs, particularly in health systems
- Have a high level of entrepreneurship, professionalism and excitement to help build a start-up business in an ambiguous environment
- Able to provide leadership over and influence individuals and across a multiple stakeholders from different levels, backgrounds by tailoring approach
- Are sound problem-solvers who can quickly process complex information and present it clearly and simply during change transformation efforts with clients
- Able to multi-task, work under pressure and deliver accurate and high volume results on tight deadlines
- Have experience in and appetite for analytics and quantitative/data analysis and ideally in the healthcare sector
- Are comfortable traveling up to 80% of the week to a client site
Who You'll Work With
You'll work in New York with the Payments, Risk Revenue, Medical Cost and Pharmacy ("PrimeX") Domain within McKinsey Healthcare Analytics and Delivery ("HA&D"). McKinsey Healthcare Analytics & Delivery team provides specialized capabilities to support our clients within McKinsey's Health Systems and Services Practice.
As a member of HA&D, you'll work closely with our client project teams, providing end to end support to ensure that clients are able to deliver and sustain the full benefits of McKinsey's recommended change to their business.
Our Healthcare Analytics group leverages a big-data analytics platform that includes 100 terabytes of integrated claim, encounter, clinical, consumer, and other data. The team consists of 200 dedicated experts and 250 affiliated professionals with industry, advanced analytics, statistics, clinical, and software expertise, all of whom work to design, deliver, and operate advanced analytic tools to help healthcare clients around the world.
New Ventures is a recently formed part of McKinsey focused on fostering innovations driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile, social and other technologies and integrating them into our client work. It is a foundation for—and expands our investment in—our entrepreneurial culture.
What You'll Do
You will be responsible for working directly with clients on identifying process inefficiencies related to claims processing and utilization management that results in errors on the amount paid, designing process changes to root out those errors, and you'll lead teams to deliver on the impact of those changes.
You will help clients build capabilities in delivery and execution of the recommended changes within their payments and risk adjustment areas, both during an active project and continuing after our consultants have shared their recommendations.
You will work directly with client leaders and front-line operators to drive change that is critical to successful realization of goals. As such, you will provide oversight, problem-solving support and practical industry expertise, frequently involving facilitating on-site workshops, individual and group coaching, and change management sessions.
From the start of a project, you will be on the ground ensuring that success is a priority. We engage at a deep level across our clients' businesses, working in small teams to build the capabilities, systems, and processes needed to deliver bottom-line results and then ensure those results are sustained. Our work is about problem solving, coaching, and delivering lasting outcomes.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top