Mining Specialist - MineSpans, New Ventures
- Master's degree preferably in Geology, Mineral Economics, or Mining, Metallurgical or Chemical Engineering; MBAs with significant mining sector experience will also be considered
- 3+ years of experience in commodity analytics in the mining industry; Specific experience in either copper or gold is a plus)
- Strong project and process management experience as well as a leadership mindset coupled with a service-orientated work ethic
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to facilitate discussions and convey complex matters
- Superior analytical skills to lead the development of our cost and supply models for 1 or more commodities, and co-lead the development of new product offerings
- Client development experience is a plus
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with our team of passionate mining experts in Louvain-la-Neuve near Brussels. Alternative locations like London or Wroclaw, Poland will be considered. MineSpans is part of McKinsey's New Ventures.
MineSpans provides a set of distinctive cost curves, supply and demand models and tools, across mining commodities. We support mining companies with the strategic intelligence they need to identify, quantify, and prioritize value creation opportunities in their businesses. It combines advanced analytics, a comprehensive database of more than 3,000 mines and projects, and a highly granular and technical model for mining costs, supply and demand. Based on the McKinsey and MineSpans proprietary methodology and mining expertise, our analysis support clients on different business contexts, i.e. long term strategy, M&A opportunities, commodity trends, market analysis, operational performance, capital and financial planning, among others.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for – and expands our investment in – our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You will help further develop our cost and supply models and strengthen our mining commodity expertise and product development.
In this role, your challenge will be to complete a set of differentiated commodity analysis, and communicate your insights and perspectives to a broad set of external clients and internal colleagues.
On a day to day basis you will develop and maintain commodity models, lead the creation of commodity reports, align insights with our mining service line leadership and communicate our unique views externally and internally.
With huge market potential for MineSpans and the need to further strengthen our offerings, you will have the chance to work in a dynamic environment and be an early member of an organization that will double its size in the next 3 years.
Back to top