Junior Specialist - Data Scientist
- Master's degree with focus on quantitative methods, econometrics, statistics or mathematics
- First job or internship experience in modeling techniques in statistics, econometrics, and/or optimization
- Practical knowledge in mathematical software, databases, programming languages, and comfortable working with large data sets (R/SAS/Python/SQL or others)
- Experience and interest in RDBMS systems (MySQL, IBM DB2, Oracle Database, etc.), cloud (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform) and big data technologies (e.g. Hadoop, Hive, Impala, Spark, NoSQL DBs) is preferable
- Experience in data extraction, transformation, cleaning, and validation
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to independently disaggregate issues, identify root causes and recommend solutions
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and with people at all levels in an organization
- Skills to communicate complex ideas effectively, both verbally and in writing in English
Who You'll Work WithYou will join McKinsey's Africa Analytics Practice and will be based in Johannesburg. The role entails extensive interactions with our global analytics community as well as partnering with generalist consultants, clients and other colleagues.
What You'll Do
As a member of this team, you will carry out complex data analysis and modeling, creating a foundation for sound recommendations for client studies and internal projects.
Leveraging your expertise in analysis and methodology, you will engage in projects with our consultants and clients by creating complex mathematical and economic models.
You will develop prototypes in R, SAS, Python, SQL, etc to conduct statistical analyses. You will often be responsible for the entire analytics value chain — from task definition to the implementation and interpretation of results to the delivery to the client. You'll collaborate with McKinsey clients and consulting teams, discussing the results constructively in continuous search of the best possible solution. You will gain insights into many industries, methodologies, and management topics on an ongoing basis.
Back to top