Implementation Consultant - Public Sector
- MBA or other graduate level degree
- 3-7 years of experience in the public or health sector on major reform or service delivery
- Outstanding policy and analytical skills, with the ability to translate analysis into recommendations and/or exceptional experience in major service delivery roles
- Demonstrated change-management skills with experience in operations and continuous improvement
- A passion for coaching and mentoring
- Experience in managing key transformation factors (complex stakeholder engagement, performance management systems, mindsets and behaviours)
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Hands on approach and a drive to succeed and get things done
- Comfort with extensive travel away from your home city (up to 5 days/week)
Who You'll Work With
You will be based in Sydney or Melbourne and will be part of McKinsey Implementation (MI). You will work with our Public Sector Delivery Hub in Australia.
You will work in a rapidly growing part of our firm, focused on solving Australia and New Zealand's biggest policy and delivery challenges with 'classic' McKinsey problem-solving and public sector reform and implementation experience. You will solve complex policy and strategy problems and will work with people across public sector organisations to build capabilities, system and processes to deliver better service outcomes. We engage at a deep level across our clients' organisations, working in small teams to build the capabilities, systems, and processes needed to deliver sustainable results.
You will initially work alongside more senior colleagues on each project and within a short space of time will be solely responsible for a part of each project.
What You'll Do
You will work in teams, playing an active role in all aspects of a client engagement.
In your role you will gather and analyse information, formulate and test hypotheses, and develop and communicate recommendations. You'll have the opportunity to present results to client management and implement recommendations in collaboration with team members.
You will engage at a deep level across our public sector and health organisation clients' operations, from policy and strategy to service transformation and implementation, including coaching and mentoring clients' staff and developing them into effective, results-oriented leaders. You will work on projects that improve health and education outcomes, drive innovation and economic opportunity, and ensure public funds are spent efficiently and effectively.
You will partake in client development and workshops for clients and write proposals for new client engagements. You'll have the opportunity to participate in and lead internal knowledge building initiatives and contribute to conferences and workshops.
You will analyse data to identify opportunities and drive performance. You will co-create performance targets and milestones with clients, developing practical recommendations and contributing to team discussions on implications of analysis. You will set up and manage project management systems to track performance, and you'll also have the chance to strengthen your specific technical/sectorial expertise to offer specialist delivery support to clients with targeted needs.
See Inside the Office of McKinsey
McKinsey helps clients facing a whole range of business questions to identify, understand, and analyze their options and make good strategic decisions. Whether it’s a tech giant contemplating a large investment, a pharma company expanding overseas, or a nonprofit looking to increase donations, the McKinsey team knows the ins and outs of the industries it serves and helps its clients tackle tough challenges and make big decisions.
Back to top