Implementation Consultant - Metals & Mining
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering and excellent academic record required
- Advanced degree or MBA in mining, metallurgy, materials engineering and geology from a premier institution is strongly preferred
- 5+ years work experience with a distinctive record of achievement and impact
- Professional focus in at least one of the following areas: mine planning, mine operations management, performance improvement, and/or corporate management/support functions experience at a major mining company
- In-depth knowledge of continuous improvement programs, i.e., Lean/Six Sigma is desirable
- Field-based experience working on projects in the Mining & Metals industry
- Demonstrated aptitude for analytics
- Proven record of leadership in a work setting and/or through extracurricular activities
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing – in English and the local office language(s)
- Flexibility to travel regionally or globally up to 80% depending on client and base location
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with McKinsey Implementation – a rapidly growing capability for our firm – in one of our offices in North America. As a member of MI, you'll work closely with our client project teams, providing end-to-end support to ensure the clients are able to deliver and sustain the full benefits of McKinsey's recommended change in their business.
What You'll Do
You will help clients build capabilities in delivery and execution, both during an active project and continuing after our consultants have shared their recommendations.
Implementation consultants work directly with client leaders and front-line operators on topics where implementation issues are important and where driving change is critical to successful realization of goals. As such, you will provide oversight, problem-solving support and practical industry expertise, frequently involving facilitating on-site workshops, individual and group coaching, and change management sessions.
Right from the start of a project, you will be on the ground ensuring that implementation success is a priority. We engage at a deep level across our clients' businesses, working in small teams to build the capabilities, systems, and processes needed to deliver bottom-line results and then ensure those results are sustained. Our work is about problem solving, coaching, and delivering lasting outcomes.
In addition to being outstanding problem-solvers, Implementation consultants are practical, experienced, and excellent coaches. Their distinctive strength is in knowing how to work with and coach people to get things done. Traits which lead to success in this role include: passion, commitment, open-mindedness, listening skills, humility, and the desire to see others succeed.
Back to top