We are looking for individuals with 4-6 years of experience in development-consulting style position or working in a public or social sector institution. Backgrounds in electric power, health, agriculture and education are most desirable with a strong focus on applicants with experience working in Africa.
Applicants should demonstrate sound reasoning and critical thinking skills, outstanding academic achievement, impressive career development and a passion for working on the economic development of Africa.
Minimum 4 year degree (or equivalent) required. Doctoral and advanced degree candidates in public health, development, economics and related disciplines are encouraged to apply.
- Kindly condense your resume to 2 pages or less
- Include all relevant test scores, grades, honors and/or GPAs
- References not required
Who You'll Work With
The Africa Delivery Hub is a quickly growing team within McKinsey addressing complex public, societal and government challenges within a new Firm delivery model. We are looking to add ADH consultants in our Johannesburg and Nairobi offices.*
- Local language skills and knowledge strongly preferred
What You'll Do
The ADH develops and implements exciting social sector or government programs such as reforming primary schools in South Africa, implementing special economic zones in Kenya or transforming power infrastructure across African countries. Associates and analysts will work on projects that are typically longer term, more tangible, and with greater focus on leadership and coaching of client teams
Possible Involvement/Work Types:
- Client Engagement: Work exclusively with governments, donors, and senior leaders in civil service on transformational challenges in economic development by building capabilities, overseeing transformation, and delivering policy solutions
- Client Development: Partake in client development and workshops for new and current clients and write proposals for new client engagements
- Knowledge building and transfer: Participate in and lead internal knowledge building initiatives and contribute to industry conferences and workshops
African economies possess high potential for social and economic development but often lack the necessary skills to achieve their developmental potential. McKinsey's ADH consultants apply their knowledge of international development topics to advise clients, or provide expert backup and support to client teams. Specific contributions will vary depending on skills and experience, but could include:
- Driving Delivery: Support client teams to rapidly identify and prioritize actions for, and executing on, client strategy to deliver on critical targets
- Coaching: Provide ongoing, targeted capability-building of teams and/or individuals in context-specific skills, performance management, problem-solving, and analytics to enable them to more effectively deliver results
- Problem solving: Analyze data to identify opportunities and drive performance. Help clients to surface issues and bottlenecks and develop tactical action plans to quickly resolve them. Identify and disseminate lessons learned and best practices across clients
- Managing performance: Co-create performance targets and milestones with clients. Set up and manage project management systems to track performance. Support client to aggressively minimize bottlenecks to progress
- Specializing: Hone specific technical/sectorial expertise to offer specialist delivery support (e.g., agriculture sector delivery) to clients with targeted needs
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top