Director of Engineering - New Ventures Technology
- Bachelor's degree in a technical discipline; Master's degree is a plus
- 12+ years of software development experience in B2B or Consumer technology
- Experience leading cross-functional matrixed development teams in development and management of cloud-native software
- Experience managing an organization of at least 25 technical team members in building and maintaining software solutions in a SaaS environment
- Experience managing 3rd party development partners to ensure high levels of value, usability, quality and predictability
- Familiarity with external platform/ technologies landscape that can be leveraged across multiple solutions and help with build vs. assemble vs. buy approach
- Experience building applications and platform using cloud computing and cloud technologies
- Prior experience working in a start-up environment highly preferred
- Experience partnering and interacting with senior level management or executives, senior technical audiences or clients
- Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills
- Ability to balance product requirements, manage expectations, and drive effective results using a proactive attitude towards identifying and resolving issues
- Ability to communicate the technical possibilities and limitations of systems to non-technical colleagues in meaningful, constructive ways
- Display a servant leadership mindset – leading with others in mind in a culture of trust
Who You'll Work With
As part of the New Ventures Technology team, you will lead a cohort of 30 technologists in one of our technology hubs in either New York or Chicago.
As the Director of Engineering, you will work with the heads of Product, Design, Project Management and Tech Ops to hire, manage and develop teams. You will work closely with engineers, product managers, UX/UI designers and project managers. You will also engage with strategic development partners to supplement our delivery capabilities as needed.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset based consulting and is a foundation for and expands our investment in our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You will lead multiple cross-functional matrixed development teams to build new software solutions with high levels of value, usability, quality and predictability.
You will build and maintain technical trusted advisor relationships with functional and technical decision makers, influencing decision makers in all matters related to their engineering roadmaps. You will partner with Functional Leaders of Product, Design, Project and TechOps to refine process, build best practices and develop world class technology. In addition you will hire, develop & retain top technology talent and build a technology community in your hub. You will manage overall objectives, priorities, tradeoffs, risks and delivery of cohort team
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top