Director of Engineering - McKinsey Academy
- BS or Master's degree in a technical discipline
- 10+ years of related technical expertise in B2B or consumer technology with at least 3 years in technology management/leadership role, and ideally some experience in the online learning space
- Strong software development background, with a passion for technology and an appreciation for outstanding product and experience design
- Ability to lead an in-house or virtual development team and foster leadership and a positive attitude toward engineering across the firm
- Interest and willingness to develop an understanding of the landscape and technologies around modern online learning
- Familiarity with external platform/ technologies landscape that can be leveraged across multiple solutions and help with build vs. assemble vs. buy approach
- Experience in cloud computing and knowledge of cloud technologies
- Ability to communicate the technical possibilities and limitations of systems to non-technical colleagues in meaningful, constructive ways
- Passion for understanding emerging technologies with pragmatic insight into where those technologies can be integrated into business solutions
- Proven experience in vetting and crafting technology solutions that are delivered on time and on budget
- Building and maintaining technical trusted advisor relationships with technical decision makers
- Prior experience working in a start-up environment highly preferred
- Experience presenting to internal/external audiences such as senior level management or executives, senior technical audiences or clients
- Ability to balance requirements, manage expectations, and drive effective results using a proactive attitude towards identifying and resolving issues
- Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills
- Effective collaboration and teamwork skills, both internally and externally
Who You'll Work With
You will work with the McKinsey Academy team in either New Jersey or Chicago. You will report to the Partner responsible for Academy and will work alongside the Academy COO, Senior Director of Product, and Delivery team.
McKinsey Academy is a New Ventures scaling solution that brings McKinsey expertise to our clients for continuing education, capability building, and change programs. Built off Open edX, Academy combines a digital offering with in-person instruction and interventions to upskill our clients.
McKinsey Academy is designed for rising professionals and senior teams to develop the capabilities they need to help their organizations thrive. Our programs include courses developed and taught by McKinsey partners, combined with perspectives from the broader market including academics, executives, and thought leaders. The programs combine group-based project work and the newest social approaches that reinforce effective, lasting skills development. With optional in-person components, our programs can be a cost-effective way to build the capabilities of a large number of participants across an organization.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
As Director of Engineering, you will be a key member on the leadership team of Academy and responsible for architecting, building and scaling the online platform, including both web and mobile. You will facilitate strategic technology discussions on the creation and development of the base platform, companion interfaces, and online-offline solutions.
You will be the hands-on technical leader of Academy and will report to the Partner responsible for Academy and will work alongside the Academy COO, Senior Director of Product, and Delivery team. You will own all aspects of the Solution's technology plan based on the strategic vision. He/she will work to develop a robust base learning platform either by converging on common tools/frameworks or by engaging in targeted custom development. You will also work closely with Academy's product, content, and operations teams to ensure the development of a durable and scalable best-in-class service model.
Starting from the base of in-house talent and handpicked contractors currently at Academy, you will assemble the team required to build a world-class platform that is ready to scale massively in short order. You will work with the engineering and product teams to understand the requirements and goals and offer technical expertise on approaches. You will drive the architecture of the technology infrastructure and platform as they help leverage common processes/capabilities (e.g., support, service delivery). You will drive/oversee every stage of the implementation of the technology.
You will work with the McKinsey Solutions ecosystem to optimize the value of our technology platform and direction for the firm. You will aim to integrate Academy with the broader McKinsey New Ventures ecosystem by choosing components that can be reused across other New Ventures, as well as sharing learnings and perspectives, especially on third-party capabilities and strengths / weaknesses.
You will consider the place Academy will hold within the larger external community working on education technology. Engage in targeted "reach and relevance" practices to gain insights, promote our work, and open the door for alliances. You should also outline a clear approach to open source that protects the work we do while enabling us to be good members of engineering society.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top