Director of Data Engineering - Periscope, New Ventures
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Data Engineering, or other related field; Master's degree is a plus
- 10 - 15 years of experience in Data Engineering in a professional services environment is highly preferred
- Expertise in designing, implementing, and supporting data processing pipelines using various ETL techniques and frameworks, such as Hadoop, Spark
- Experience with integration of data from multiple data sources and automation of data processes
- Experience with SQL databases (MySQL, MemSQL, MS SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Exasol) and database querying
- Experience with several dynamic/scripting programming languages (Python, R, etc)
- Working knowledge of business intelligence platforms like Alteryx, RapidMiner, Knime
- Good knowledge of development principles (Agile, Scrum, Kanban) development enablement tools (Jira, Confluence) and orchestration tools like Jenkins
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem solving skills
- Adept at communicating and managing key stakeholders and able to drive change in the organization
- Ability to act autonomously, bringing structure and organization to work
- Comfortable with ambiguity; self-motivated with strong sense of ownership
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and provide continuous mentoring to junior members of the organization
- Entrepreneurial spirit with desire to work in fast-paced, start-up environment, with the ability to consistently deliver exceptional results on demanding timelines
Who You'll Work With
You'll be based in New Jersey or Atlanta and will be a part of the Periscope team. Periscope is part of McKinsey's New Ventures.
Founded in 2007, Periscope™ by McKinsey enables better commercial decisions by uncovering actionable insights. The Periscope platform combines world leading intellectual property, prescriptive analytics, and cloud based tools to provide more than 25 solutions focused on insights and marketing, with expert support and training. It is a unique combination that drives revenue growth both now and in the future. Customer experience, performance, pricing, category, and sales optimization are powered by the Periscope platform. Periscope has a presence in 26 locations across 16 countries with a team of 350+ IT and business professionals and a network of 300+ experts. To learn more about how Periscope's solutions and experts are helping businesses continually drive better performance, visit hthttp://www.periscope-solutions.com/
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You'll work closely with Marketing & Sales Ventures client service team and will play a key role in data architecture and delivery.
You'll manage our Data Management Service Line, as well as perform the role of senior data architect for large, complex solution engagements. You will design and build highly scalable and reusable data architectures, which process large amounts of data (both structured and unstructured data), from multiple data sources, using various data processing techniques.
Additionally, you'll document and communicate architectural decisions across the teams. You will supervise and control proper data architecture implementation, making sure the implementations meets quality and security standards. You'll explore and examine data from a variety of angles to determine hidden weaknesses, trends and/or opportunities.
You will provide concise data reports and clear data visualizations for management and triage code problems and data-related issues. You'll recommend ways to improve data acquisition, reliability, efficiency, quality assurance, enrichment and repair. You will participate in improving data foundational procedures, guidelines, standards including both semantic and genealogical context linked to the data. You'll evaluate off-the-shelf data management tools from different angles like ease of use, performance, simplicity of integration with our platform and costs.
See Inside the Office of McKinsey
McKinsey helps clients facing a whole range of business questions to identify, understand, and analyze their options and make good strategic decisions. Whether it’s a tech giant contemplating a large investment, a pharma company expanding overseas, or a nonprofit looking to increase donations, the McKinsey team knows the ins and outs of the industries it serves and helps its clients tackle tough challenges and make big decisions.
Back to top