Design Lead - Digital McKinsey
- Bachelor's degree in Interaction Design, Interface Design, Human Computer Interaction, Service Design, (Graphic) Design with emphasis on UX or equivalent qualification
- 8+ years relevant industry experience designing applications, experiences, websites, products and services that balance user needs, business objectives and technological constraints
- Holistic and human centered approach to product and service design, from research and insight generation to concept to deliverable
- Experience owning a project vision, execution, quality and client relationship
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong influencing, negotiation and communication skills (written, verbal, presentation) with the ability to be a thought partner/ coach to clients and internal team
- Experience leading designers and other members of a cross-functional team
- Able to function, adapt and succeed in a constantly changing, fast paced environment
- Positive attitude and motivation to deliver and ensure highest quality deliverables
- Able to respond positively and calmly to shifting priorities, demands and timelines
- Strong interaction and visual design skills, including use of a diverse set of software such as Adobe CS, Sketch, OmniGraffle, as well as good experience with MS Office
- Excellent knowledge of rapid prototyping tools such as Sketch, Axure, Invision or Flinto
- Familiarity with Agile software development processes and methodologies
- Knowledge of web-based technologies and their impact on the feasibility of design solutions
- Keen to seek out opportunities to promote the design practice internally and externally, being an excellent presenter
- Strong command of English language (both verbal and written)
- Willingness to travel approximately 75% of the time to client sites
Who You'll Work With
You'll join our Chicago design studio as part of Digital McKinsey.
Digital McKinsey brings together the best of McKinsey's digital capabilities—drawing from our Business Technology Office, McKinsey Digital Labs, and our digital functions and combining them in one cohesive organization. Digital McKinsey not only advises but also builds, operates, and transfers capabilities to help our clients use digital technology to transform their businesses.
Our office culture is casual, fun and social, with an emphasis on education and innovation. We have the freedom to try new ideas, experiment and are expected to be constantly learning and growing. There is also a strong emphasis on mentoring others in the group, enabling them to grow and learn. You will have exciting career prospects within an international company that is still considered a start-up, yet was created by a trusted advisor of some of the most influential organizations in the world. You will work on challenging tasks in an innovative state-of-the-art technological environment in small teams of highly motivated colleagues with various cultural backgrounds.
What You'll Do
You will work on a variety of projects that integrate digital designs into products, services and environments.
You will be part of a blended cross-functional team and tackle all aspects of the design process. You will be passionate and focused, creatively solving complex problems from a diverse set of perspectives, contexts and research inputs, while applying their own informed views and taste. Charged with helping lead client engagements and guiding other members of their design team, you will define and drive the design process moving from insights to ideas, threading design and business thinking together to deliver inventive, durable and thoughtful, solutions from concept to launch.
Additionally, you'll utilize industry design standards and best practices to define and implement design criteria, and apply user centered design methodologies to ensure ideas are based on customer needs.
You'll lead user research and testing, produce personas, map customer journeys, develop service blueprints, for complex products and services, use a variety of methods to convey ideas and concepts (e.g. storyboards, wireframes, prototypes, etc). You will perform task analysis and define the User Interface Design through information architecture, wireframes and user flows and validate it through usability testing. Lastly, you'll work with the Engagement Manager to issue regular status reports and troubleshoot problem areas and work with them to manage changes in scope and devise contingency plans, and mentor others and capability build to cultivate and support them through their path at McKinsey.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top