Data Scientist - New Ventures Campus
- Be currently enrolled in an academic program and looking for a full time job in 2018
- Exceptional numerical and statistical ability, with excitement for applying analytics to client challenges and significant experience using analytic / database software and languages such as SAS, SQL, SPSS, R, Python, etc.
- Superior critical thinking and creative problem solving skills
- Basic business intuition and clear expertise in analyses with the ability to describe analytic processes, including when and why specific approaches are favored
- Strong oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively to non-technical audiences
- Ability to deliver in deadline-driven environment
- Team player with a passion for coaching colleagues and clients
- Desire to build and develop knowledge for the firm, and use analytics to solve client problems
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with our New Ventures team in one of our North America offices.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers. Jr. Specialists have a base of expertise in a function or industry. They are staffed on engagements (largely in full time roles) and are expected to leverage expertise to solve some of the most pressing and complex issues at clients.
What You'll Do
You'll conduct hands-on rigorous quantitative analysis, including getting the data, cleaning it (when necessary / relevant), and exploring it for accuracy.
You'll deploy statistical modeling and optimization techniques most suited for the business problem (using R, Python, SQL, and/or other relevant tools). With support, you'll advise client teams on analytic methodologies and approaches to address their specific needs, including discussing data collection, architecture, associated costs and trade-offs, and recommendations.
You'll interpret outputs of statistical models and results to translate input from quantitative analyses into specific and actionable business recommendations and implications. This includes providing detailed documentation of modeling techniques, methodologies, assumptions made and process steps.
You'll manages delivery of analytical solutions to client via written and verbal presentations, including capability building as appropriate. You may advance McKinsey's overall knowledge base by providing analytical rigor and problem solving to our proprietary knowledge investments.
You'll begin to own an analytics work stream, manage respective tasks and client project team members/experts, while building client relationships. You'll support analytics recruiting efforts (e.g., attends recruiting events, participates in WebExes, etc.).
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top