Data Scientist - Geospatial Analytics
- Bachelors degree in Business, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Engineering; Masters degree or a PhD in quantitative field (Economics, GIS, Computer Science, Finance) is a plus
- Relevant experience in an operations research or analytics setting (public or private sector) is a plus
- Familiarity of analytical packages such as R, Python, SAS, Matlab, etc., and approaches (regression, decision trees, clustering, neural networks, etc.)
- Familiarity with GIS software (e.g., ArcGIS, QGIS, PostGIS) and/or geospatial approaches (spatial analysis, network analysis, geographic visualization, etc.)
- Knowledge of advanced spatial analytic techniques such as spatial statistics, spatial econometrics, location optimization etc. is strongly preferred
- Ability to work with relational databases such as SQL, Access, PostgreSQL, etc. is required. Knowledge of distributed database systems (Hadoop, Spark, MapReduce) will be a plus.
- Intellectual curiosity, along with excellent problem-solving and quantitative skills
- Strong team-orientation and a professional attitude
- Comfort in communicating technical content in an easy to understand way
- Solid understanding of economic, financial, and general business concepts and terminology
- Fluent English; Portuguese or Spanish fluency is a plus.
Who You'll Work With
While your work will be primarily in Waltham, MA, you will be a member of the Global Geospatial Analytics team with team members in in Sao Paulo, Brazil, San Jose, Costa Rica, and Shanghai, China.
You will interact daily with your colleagues from other locations as well as travel to serve clients both domestically and internationally. In addition, you will benefit from all development and training opportunities that we have developed for our analytics colleagues worldwide as well as those designed specifically for professionals in our Waltham office.
What You'll Do
You will work in a fast-paced, team environment devising and conducting specialized and distinctive analytics using large, complex, and diverse data to solve client problems.
This includes decoding spatial and temporal patterns in customer behaviors, analyzing the drivers of performance to inform customer relationship management, developing an optimal distribution network configuration model for a global supply chain, or geographically optimizing a field sales force.
Your work will be project-oriented. You will often be responsible for the entire analytical process from outlining the best solution to implementing the results. You will interpret results for colleagues, consultants, and clients, and you will often create plans for transferring capabilities to the client.
Working on projects and exchanging experiences with your colleagues means you will face new intellectual challenges on a daily basis, while continuously building your methodological knowledge and skills. You are expected to develop and contribute to such knowledge base on analytic methods and techniques, as well as relevant data and information sources used in geospatial analytics.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top