Data Scientist - Advanced Analytics
- University degree and excellent academic record required
- Ph.D degree in Computer Science is highly desired
- Candidates with a Ph.D in other quantifiable fields (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Physics) with applied practical experience and programming background are also desirable
- Experience in Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Operations Research or equivalent technical field
- 2+ years of professional experience in applying machine learning and data mining techniques to real problems with copious amounts of data
- Ability to independently own and drive model development, balancing demands and deadlines
- Ability to prototype statistical analysis and modeling algorithms and apply these algorithms for data driven solutions to problems in new domains
- Proficiency in R, SAS, SPSS or other statistical package
- Experience in working with large datasets and relational databases is highly desirable (SQL)
- Knowledge of additional programming languages is a plus (Python, C++, Java)
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing – in English and Portuguese.
- Willingness to travel
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with our Analytics group in São Paulo, Brazil. As a member of this team, you'll work with McKinsey consulting teams to carry out complex data analysis and modeling, creating a foundation for sound recommendations for client studies and internal projects.
What You'll Do
You will work on all aspects of the design, development and delivery of machine learning enabled solutions for our clients and consulting teams.
This includes collaborating on problem definition, data acquisition, data exploration and visualization, feature engineering, experimenting with ML algorithms, evaluating and comparing metrics, deploying the models, iteratively improving the solution, and building the tools for this process, etc.
You will work with data from diverse structured and unstructured data sources in both batch and streaming modes. You will work with consultants, clients or internal teams to prepare complex data analyses and models that help solve client problems and deliver significant measurable impact. You will often be responsible for the entire analytical process – from outlining the type of solution through implementation, interpretation of results and transferring capabilities to the client or colleagues.
You will constructively discuss your findings in collaboration with consultants and clients while always looking for the best solution. Some work at the client site is expected. Working on projects and exchanging experiences with your colleagues means you will face new intellectual challenges on a daily basis, while continuously building your methodological knowledge and skills.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top