Data Engineer - Public Sector Analytics
- BS in computer science, information systems, or closely related field; advanced degree preferred
- 3-5 years of hands-on experience in large scale systems integration, data warehousing and ETL tools with a strong background in normalization, physical and logical data modeling, ER diagramming, advanced SQL and performance tuning
- Advanced SQL experience and proficiency in Big Data technologies (Hadoop / Spark / NoSQL DBs)
- Data security & governance expertise, preferably in a highly regulated environment (ie government, healthcare)
- Comprehension of code in analytics language (Python / Scala / Java / R), with interest in learning more
- Commercial client-facing project experience, including working in close-knit teams
- A proven ability in clearly communicating complex solutions
- U.S. Citizenship Required
Who You'll Work With
You'll work in our Waltham office as part of our Public Sector Practice Analytics team, part of McKinsey's New Ventures. You will work in a highly collaborative team of exceptionally talented Data Engineers and Data Scientists.
Public Sector Analytics provides expertise for McKinsey's engagements in the public and social sectors. The team builds out analytics solutions to solve problems is five primary areas: corrections and justice operations, tax authority operations, defense and security, education and global public health. We achieve maximum client impact by integrating the best of data science into dashboards and apps to transform and sustain analytics-based ways of working.
McKinsey New Ventures fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for –and expands our investment in –our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You'll work closely with senior client stakeholders to understand their data, design the ingestion process to store the data locally and prepare it for Data Analytics.
As someone passionate about data, you'll have the opportunity to play a critical role in database design and development, data integration and ingestion, as well as designing ETL architectures using a variety of ETL tools and techniques.
You are someone with a drive to implement the best possible solutions for clients in close collaboration with a highly skilled Data Science team. As such, you will partner with clients to model their data landscape, obtain data extracts and define secure data exchange approaches.
You'll also plan and execute secure, good practice data integration strategies and approaches. This is a fantastic opportunity to be involved in end-to-end data management for cutting edge Advanced Analytics and Data Science.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top