Commercial Negotiator - Africa
- Bachelor's degree (ideally a Law degree/legal background); Juris Doctor or MBA which included Negotiation as a course credit would be advantageous
- 10+ years of experience in a professional setting, preferably in deal negotiations with exposure to multi-national organizations, such as an investment banks, asset management firms or professional services firms
- Deep understanding of deal and contract negotiation
- Understanding of the professional services culture and an understanding of sensitivities around client service in a partnership context
- Knowledge of consulting agreements preferred (structure, typical commercial terms, pricing and taxation fundamentals, etc.)
- Ability to balance competing interests, while ensuring positive outcomes for the negotiating parties
- Consensus-building management style and credibility
- Comfort in highly stressful situations, maintaining a calm and consummately professional demeanor
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and an ability to influence; additional languages highly advantageous (e.g. French, Portuguese)
- Experience and an ability to manage multiple high-priority tasks and projects simultaneously
- Knowledge and acumen for understanding global macroeconomics
- Flexibility for extensive travel
Who You'll Work With
You will be based in one of our Africa offices (Johannesburg, Lagos or Casablanca) and will report to the Director of Commercial Negotiations (located in New York). You will also have a dotted reporting line to the Africa Office Managing Partner and/or Chair of the Africa Finance Committee.
You´ll work with the firm's legal and accounting departments on statements of work ('SOW') and master services agreements (MSA's), and will be responsible for tracking MSA's currently in place throughout the firm. Furthermore, you´ll work with the consulting teams regarding the structuring of equity and/or other securities in transactions where the firm is compensated in lieu of cash fees.
You´ll be a peer partner who can front-end negotiations and independently hold discussions with client CEOs and CFOs. You´ll work with the firm's Global Director of Negotiation, Legal (internal and external), Accounting and Treasury groups.
What You'll Do
You'll be responsible for managing relationships with McKinsey's client procurement and business unit heads, of which the primary goal is to negotiate the terms of professional services agreements.
You will work with local and multinational clients to professionalize contracting arrangements through the language, legal and commercial terms. The scope includes negotiation of new arrangements as well as renewal of existing terms and fees. Additional responsibilities will include reviewing global economic conditions and tracking a variety of local inflation indicators.
Moreover one of your responsibilities will be to advise on highly complex commercial structures in regards fee arrangements. This can range from single year to multi-year agreements, across large geographic regions. You´ll advise consulting teams who are structuring and negotiating non-standard fee arrangements (i.e. upfront involvement at proposal stage) and you'll coach them on standard commercial terms and advise on the best tactics. You´ll disseminate best practices around negotiating strategies, methodology and templates.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top