Chief Technology Officer - McKinsey Academy
- Significant experience as a senior technology executive, with demonstrated contributions as a thought leader and technology visionary
- 15+ years of related technical expertise in B2B or consumer technology, at least 5 of them in technology management/leadership, and ideally some experience in the online learning space
- Experience building and managing a high performing cross functional team that oversees product management, design, development, UX and engineering.
- Expert understanding of external competitive landscape and technology platform that can be leveraged, and how they integrate in both the education and capability building space
- Ability to build out our technology roadmap, with a solid perspective on when to build/buy/rent
- Experience with cloud computing and cloud technologies
- Strong interpersonal and relationship development skills
- Ability to communicate the technical possibilities and limitations of systems to non-technical colleagues
- Experience presenting to internal/external audiences such as senior level management or executives, senior technical audiences or clients
- Passion for understanding emerging technologies with pragmatic insight into where those technologies can be integrated into business solutions
- Proven experience in vetting and crafting technology solutions that are delivered on time and on budget
- Building and maintaining technical trusted advisor relationships with technical decision makers
- Prior experience working in a start-up environment highly preferred
- Ability to balance requirements, manage expectations, and drive effective results using a proactive attitude towards identifying and resolving issues
- Excellent collaboration and relationship building skills, both internally and externally
Who You'll Work With
You will work with our McKinsey Academy team in our New York or Chicago office. McKinsey Academy is a New Ventures scaling solution that partners with clients to unlock the potential of their people through leadership development and functional capability building at scale. McKinsey Academy brings a suite of assets and technology to enable distinctive learning experiences. These combine a range of interventions with in-person instruction, from online courses built off the Open edX platform, to on-the-job projects with just-in-time performance support and behavioral nudges delivered through a mobile app. .
McKinsey Academy is designed for rising professionals and senior teams to develop the capabilities they need to help their organizations thrive. Our programs include courses developed and taught by McKinsey partners, combined with perspectives from the broader market including academics, executives, and thought leaders. The programs combine group-based project work and the newest social approaches that reinforce effective, lasting skills development. With optional in-person components, our programs can be a cost-effective way to build the capabilities of a large number of participants across an organization.
New Ventures is the part of McKinsey focused on fostering innovations driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile, social, and other technologies and integrating them into our client work. It is a foundation for—and expands our investment in—our entrepreneurial culture.
What You'll Do
As Chief Technology Officer, you will be a key member of the Academy leadership team and will report to the Partner responsible for Academy. You will set the vision and technology strategy that will enable us to achieve our strategic goals. You will build and manage a high performing team that oversees product design, development, and engineering. You will evaluate external technologies and platforms to make sure we are bringing the best of ed tech to our clients.
You and your team will design and develop products that support distinct learning experiences and drive behavioral change. You and your team will work to develop a robust base learning platform either by converging on common tools/frameworks or by engaging in targeted custom development. You will work closely with Academy's client leadership, learning and operations teams to ensure the development of a durable and scalable best-in-class service model, and manage all external vendor relationships.
Starting from the base of in-house talent and handpicked contractors currently at Academy, you will build the high-performing team required to build a world-class platform that is ready to scale massively in short order. You will work with the engineering and product teams to understand the requirements and goals and offer technical expertise on approaches. You will drive the architecture of the technology infrastructure and platform as they help leverage common processes/capabilities (e.g., support, service delivery). You will drive/oversee every stage of the implementation of the technology.
You will work with the McKinsey New Ventures ecosystem to optimize the value of our technology platform and direction for the Firm. You will aim to integrate Academy with the broader McKinsey New Ventures ecosystem by choosing components that can be reused across other New Ventures, as well as sharing learnings and perspectives, especially on third-party capabilities and strengths / weaknesses.
You will consider the place Academy will hold within the larger external community working on education technology. Engage in targeted "reach and relevance" practices to gain insights, promote our work, and open the door for alliances. You should also outline a clear approach to open source that protects the work we do while enabling us to be good members of that community.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top