Business Analyst - Risk
- Undergraduate degree with an outstanding record of academic achievement in a quantitative discipline such as math, statistics, economics, finance, operations research, financial engineering, engineering, physics, etc.
- 1-2 years' experience in risk management (any industry sector) and/or experience in a consultancy (with risk focus) and/or comparable experience in banking, insurance, corporate finance, risk regulation & compliance, advanced analytics, etc.
- Strong interest in and passion for risk topics - could be broadly interested or have a specific interest within a sector: banking/financial services, insurance, corporate, and/or in a specific function: risk regulation & compliance, advanced analytics, etc.
- Proven record of leadership in a work setting and/or through extracurricular activities
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing – in English and the local office language(s)
- Willingness to travel
Who You'll Work With
You'll work in our Risk practice in New York. This global practice supports clients in many different industries facing challenges of developing and implementing tailored concepts for risk recognition, measurement, and control.
What You'll Do
You'll work in teams of typically 3 – 5 consultants, playing an active role in all aspects of client engagement.
You will assist client teams in understanding and quantifying risk exposures, evaluating risk strategies, and building and maintaining risk models by being staffed full-time on one engagement or providing ad-hoc assistance to several engagements.
This includes gathering and analyzing information, formulating and testing hypotheses, and developing and communicating recommendations. You'll also have the opportunity to present results to client management and implement recommendations in collaboration with client team members. You will be expected to contribute to knowledge development by helping define and expand distinctive risk-based methodologies to support top management-level strategic decisions.
You'll gain new skills and build on the strengths you bring to the firm. Business Analysts receive exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues on their teams. This support includes a Partner from your local office or practice assigned to you to help guide your career as well as several weeks of formal training in your first two years as a Business Analyst.
Additionally, you'll receive guidance and support from your local office or practice in the selection of client projects, helping you to develop your skills and build your network.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top