Associate - Risk
- MBA with undergraduate focus in a heavily quantitative discipline (Mathematics, Statistics, Physics, Computer Science, etc.) or;
- Ph.D. degree in Business/Finance (ideally focused on risk), Economics, Statistics/Mathematics, Physics, Operations Research, Engineering, etc. or;
- Master's degree in Finance, Financial Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, etc.
- 3+ years experience in risk management in any industry sector and/or experience in a consultancy (with risk focus) and/or comparable experience in banking, insurance, corporate finance, risk regulation & compliance, advanced analytics, IT risk, supply chain, trading/intermediation with significant exposure to risk, or contract/asset structuring
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing – in English and the local office language(s)
- Willingness to travel
Who You'll Work With
You'll work with our Risk Practice in our New York office. This global practice supports clients in many different industries facing challenges of developing and implementing tailored concepts for risk recognition, measurement, and control.
Facing extreme volatility in financial and commodity markets, more and more of our clients are realizing that effective, risk-informed strategy can offer a major source of competitive advantage. We take a truly global, cross-sector, cross-functional view of risk issues, combining McKinsey's deep industry insight and strategic skills with a structured risk-management approach, proven methodologies focused on true transformation, analytical tools, and practical implementation.
What You'll Do
You will help clients understand and quantify risk exposures, evaluate risk strategies, and build and maintain risk models.
You will assist client teams in understanding and quantifying risk exposures, evaluating risk strategies, and building and maintaining risk models by being staffed full-time on one engagement or providing ad-hoc assistance to several engagements.
This includes gathering and analyzing information, formulating and testing hypotheses, and developing and communicating recommendations. You'll also have the opportunity to present results to client management and implement recommendations in collaboration with client team members. You will be expected to contribute to knowledge development by helping define and expand distinctive risk-based methodologies to support top management-level strategic decisions.
You'll gain new skills and build on the strengths you bring to the firm. Consultants receive exceptional training as well as frequent coaching and mentoring from colleagues on their teams. This support includes a Partner from the practice assigned to you to help guide your career as well as several weeks of formal training in your first two years as an Associate.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top