Application Support Manager
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Applications or equivalent
- 8+ years of business experience in an IT support function, ideally in an international environment
- Minimum of 3-4 years in a leadership role, including project management
- Strong understanding of ITIL, quality management and continuous improvement approaches, and proven support management capabilities
- Strong understanding of application development approaches, such as Scrum, SDLC, and technologies such as IBM Notes or RDBMS such as SQL Server.
- Being familiar with programming concepts in HTML, Java/Java script, Drupal, .NET, IBM Notes, etc. would be helpful
- Proven people management capabilities
- Strong technical and organizational problem solving skills
- Exceptional service orientation and willingness to go the extra mile to deliver exceptional service
- Commendable team collaboration skills, including in a global virtual team setup
- Strong communication skills in English, both oral and written
Who You'll Work With
You'll work in Chennai (India) as part of McKinsey's Business Presentation Design Services team, which is part of McKinsey & Company's global support network, consisting of several globally operating teams that support our consultants from Research, Analytics, IT, Assistant Support and Presentation Design.
You will lead and be part of the 5-7 member VG Applications Support team and will report to the Head of Information Technology. This team operates on a 24/7 basis to support 60 applications and a user-base of over 1300 Presentation Design colleagues located in 4 locations globally - Chennai, Trivandrum in India, Poznan in Poland and San Jose in Costa Rica, to ensure high availability of the global production applications and to very swiftly redress any situation which may be impacting the presentation production or design processes.
What You'll Do
As leader of the application support function, you will operationally manage the support team, including team scheduling, staffing to maintain service levels, incident/request management, problem management, and handling escalations and customer communications.
Your work will require you to collaborate with various teams across the organization such as the application development teams, IT operations teams, project management office, etc. to ensure a smooth interface of the support team with them. When there are service disruptions, you will be expected to take charge of the situation and ensure effective communication to stakeholders and users, coordinating the troubleshooting activities, and managing all required escalations.
Your experience in managing projects will be called for in identifying, initiating and driving improvement and automation efforts within the support function. To ensure these are successful, you will also need to actively work with the global stakeholders of the application support function to determine operational priorities and translate them into actionable items, thereby setting direction for the team. Your work in this area in collaboration with office, regional and global teams will be expected to proactively and continuously improve all facets of the application support function.
Your team will look to you for administrative leadership, including recruiting, people management and coaching, professional development (e.g., orientation, mentoring, coaching), and year-end reviews. They will also expect your support and contribution in helping the team to build new capabilities to deliver a wider array of support to the user community. You will contribute to knowledge building in the team by identifying and documenting best practices, determining training needs and working with the Head of IT to implement the training plans. If required, you will also to act as a backup to the Head of IT Services and manage the engagement with the global stakeholders of the technology and digital function as necessary.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top