- University student in their junior year in a STEM related field (Ops Research, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering); expected graduation date of December 2018 or May 2019. Or, currently completing your first year in a non-business, 2-year masters program and have less than 2 years of work experience
- Demonstrated analytic and quantitative skills
- Experience in one or more programming languages (R, Python, C++, etc.)
- Strong intrinsic problem solving skills, ability to structure and solve problems and conduct and interpret analysis independently
- Skills to communicate complex ideas effectively
- Willingness to travel up to 80%
Who You'll Work With
You'll be working with McKinsey's Operations practice in either Chicago or Boston for ~10 weeks. Our Operations practice assists our clients in solving complex operational challenges. Blending strategic thinking with hands-on practicality, our teams of consultants and experts work to develop and implement operational strategies that solve our clients' most critical problems.
Our Analytics team, which is part of the Operations practice, combines deep strategic and business insight with world-class technological and operational capabilities. Operations Analytics helps solve problems in optimization, forecasting, and simulation - not only to improve the design of physical systems, but also to address management infrastructures and employees' attitudes and behaviors, so that clients are able to lead change independently.
What You'll Do
You will shape the future of what data-driven organizations look like, drive processes for extracting and using that data in innovative ways, and create new lines of thinking within an infinite number of clients and situations.
You will apply your methodological skills across our operational service areas (Supply Chain, Product Development, Manufacturing, etc.) to devise creative approaches for our clients in areas such as inventory management, predictive maintenance, or logistics network design. You will apply and advise on state-of-the-art quantitative tools and modeling techniques in order to derive business insights, solve complex problems and improve decisions. You will review, support, and inform the day-to-day analytics requirements of clients' key operational procedures while continually improving the impact of these processes.
Our intern program gives a group of undergraduate students and eligible graduate students first-hand experience with consulting at McKinsey. You will participate in an introductory training program, as well as a range of social activities to get to know your office and the firm. At the end of the summer, you may receive an offer to join us as a full-time Business Analyst after completion of your degree.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top