Analytics Fellow - Financial Services Lab, New Ventures
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Physics, Operations Research, or related discipline; Advanced degree is a strong plus
- 1-3 years experience in an analytics role; banking experience is strongly preferred
- Willingness to spend 80-100% of time working with banking clients is required
- Proficiency in Python, SQL, R and/or SAS; additional knowledge of other data mining software (Spark, Scala, etc.) is a plus
- Advanced knowledge of machine learning /statistical techniques, data mining, (gradient boosting, random forest, deep learning/AI, regression, decision trees, text mining, etc.)
- Exposure to credit bureau, online, mobile, and social data is helpful
- Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and work effectively with people at all levels in an organization
- Skills to communicate complex ideas effectively
Who You'll Work With
You will work in Waltham, MA with our Financial Services Lab team, your analytics colleagues, other McKinsey consultants and clients to carry out complex analyses, build statistical and machine learning models and develop actionable recommendations for wide range of strategic topics from commercial banking marketing to hedge fund data analytics.
Financial Services Lab is part of McKinsey New Ventures which fosters innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work. It is helping to shift our model toward asset-based consulting and is a foundation for – and expands our investment in – our entrepreneurial culture. Through innovative software as a service solutions, strategic acquisitions, and a vibrant ecosystem of alliances, we are redefining what it means to work with McKinsey.
As one of the fastest-growing parts of our firm, New Ventures has more than 1,500 dedicated professionals (including more than 800 analysts and data scientists) and we're hiring more mathematicians, data scientists, designers, software engineers, product managers, client development managers and general managers.
What You'll Do
You will analyze and evaluate large quantities of data, effectively balancing quality, availability, timeliness, and cost factors.
Leveraging your advanced data analysis skills, you will create innovative approaches to answer our clients' most relevant questions. You will apply a data-driven analytical approach to an enormous variety of problems in banking practices such as a world-leading bank figuring out how to best do its customer care across all of its channels or an M&A project which needs to find most effective way to combine two credit card portfolios and expand customer bases.
Your work will be project-oriented: you will often be responsible for the entire analytical process – from outlining the type of solution through implementation, interpretation of results and transferring capabilities to the client or colleagues. You will constructively discuss your findings in dialog with consultants and clients while always looking for the best solution.
Some work at the client site is expected. Working on projects and exchanging experiences with your colleagues means you will face new intellectual challenges on a daily basis, while continuously building your methodological knowledge and skills.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top