Analyst - Product Development
Knowledge & Skills Required:
We are looking for candidates who have demonstrated both a strong business sense and deep understanding of foundations of PD. Candidates must also possess the following hallmarks of excellent problem-solving skills, team skills, entrepreneurial ability, and strong communication skills:
- Excellent problem-solving skills, including the ability to disaggregate issues, identify root causes and recommend solutions
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to understand the relevant analysis required to prove a hypothesis and ability to gather information around it and make informed/logical assumptions where required
- Good written and verbal communication skills. Fluent in both written and spoken English; prior experience in a multi-national environment desirable
- Energetic, cooperative and pleasant personality. Able to work with a diverse group of team members
- Flexibility, patience, and an understanding of fluid, demanding, and unstructured environments where priorities evolve constantly and methodologies are regularly challenged
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver on tight deadlines
- Strong IT skills (knowledge on MS Excel, PowerPoint is a must ; also knowledge on MS Access and MS Project is an added advantage)
- Knowledge/experience on product design related tools is a must
Education & Previous Experience Required:
- Bachelor's and/or Master's degree from top tier universities locally or somewhat well known university overseas, and major in the Science and Engineering
- 3-4 years' industry experience in Product Development. Cost and value-centric product development experience is a must. For Masters in Engineering or Management, the experience is relaxed to 1-2 years. Cross-functional team working experience is desired. Candidates with purchasing background but having a strong leaning towards PD (willing to explore new career track) can also be considered
- Commensurate with work experience
Who You'll Work With
McKinsey & Company, Inc. is a leading international management consulting firm with over 100 office locations in over 60 countries. It is one of the most respected and renowned organisations in the world and has been consistently ranked as the leading employer of choice at MBA schools across the world.
We advise top management of the world's leading companies on issues of strategy, organization and operations. Our mission is twofold: to help our clients make positive lasting and substantial improvements in their performance and to build a great Firm that is able to attract, develop, excite and retain exceptional people.
What You'll Do
Core to delivering on our client mission is McKinsey's network of industry and functional practices, which play an important role in developing practitioner and institutional capabilities, developing and managing our proprietary knowledge, and providing content expertise. The backbone of the network is McKinsey Knowledge Centre (McKC).
The Product Development (PD) team at McKC is one of the Centres-of-Competence (CoC) for the Firm. Product Development is a fast-growing practice globally with several distinct service lines. We help our clients achieve profitable organic growth by improving productivity and effectiveness of their product development system (15-30% time-to-market improvement, 20-40% development cost reduction, program stabilization) and by working directly to create higher-value products and services and more attractive product lines (10-30% margin uplift, >10% revenue increase). Client engagements span most industry sectors with a concentration in Automotive, Assembly, Aerospace, Industrials, High-Tech, Telecom, Pharma and Medical Products. We conduct over 300 engagements each year in over 25 countries. Over the past year, the CoC supported by the DTV (Design to Value) labs in Chennai, New Delhi and Taipei has become the core global knowledge and delivery hub for the PD practice.
McKinsey Knowledge Center, Taipei is looking for an Analyst with past experience in operations management, specifically Product Development. The Analyst would be expected to spend most of his/her time working as part of McKinsey client service teams across the globe on product development related topics and take lead in knowledge management. The Analyst would be located in Taipei, Taiwan; however, would be required to travel extensively to serve clients onsite.
Analyst would grow into a Senior Analyst role, leading teams of analysts on client projects. Career growth from there on could be either on a specialist track focusing on content leadership or a managerial track focusing on people leadership. High performing individuals are recognized for fast track upward movement in the Firm.
The Analyst would spend significant part (~80 %) of his/her time working onsite as part of consulting teams helping solve complex client problems in product development domain. This work includes (and not limited to) rationalizing product design based on competitive teardown analysis and customer insights; helping client teams estimate product should cost be based on clean sheet costing (and hence design a low cost product); working on new product development arena; reducing new product development time, cost and quality attributes; carrying on survey to understand improvement aspects of the organization to support an efficient and effective product development; and improving thereof to built a sustainable capability for the R&D organization for clients, etc.
The remaining time (~20%) will be spent on developing cutting-edge knowledge related to the PD domain and in delivering specialized remote services to clients.
The analyst will be expected to perform the following roles:
- Work on various product development engagements, provide expert client service (product teardown analysis, clean sheet costing, new product development time optimization, saving ideas/lever identification, R&D strategy development and developing mechanism for tracking R&D performance) for various industries/categories
- Support development and maintenance of various practice knowledge initiatives (build Firm's knowledge on product development related topics)
This is a global role (cross geography, cross industry) and would work well for those who truly envision themselves growing into 'experts' within the PD domain.
Meet Some of McKinsey's Employees
Danielle is one of the leaders of McKinsey’s business with retail and consumer clients. She oversees client projects and helps her teams and her clients utilize McKinsey’s resources.
Back to top