Tech Lead, Data Infrastructure - McD Tech Labs
- Mountain View, CA
Refer A Friend
McD Tech Labs is the recently established Silicon Valley based technology development group within McDonald's Corporation. Our mission is to deliver advanced technology solutions that address real-world, data-driven needs in the McDonald's Restaurant environment. We are focused on using state-of-the-art Machine Learning, AI, and related technologies along with McDonald's unparalleled scale to completely transform the customer experience!
McDonald's is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald's, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every single requirement!
We are currently looking for a talented tech lead / manager to lead our data infrastructure department. This role reports directly to the McD Tech Labs Director of Engineering. The tech lead will lead an engineering team focused on infrastructure powering transformative AI/ML products reaching tens of millions of customers per day, feeding billions McD customers worldwide. The department covers data infrastructure, data pipelines, analysis, and performance optimization.
The ideal candidate has experience leading engineers focused on building robust, scalable, large-scale datastores, and a passion for building agile, high-performing teams.
- Build, lead and mentor a team of infrastructure engineers in a fast-moving and quickly growing organization
- Create big data and batch/real-time analytical solutions that leverage hybrid datastore technologies operating at petabyte scale
- Collaborate with ML/AI teams to develop features and APIs to support use cases spanning analytics, research, triage, and monitoring
- Develop and maintain pipelines to manage resilient idempotent coordination with external databases, APIs and systems
- Identify and address functionality, stability and scalability design decisions across the stack
- BS degree in Computer Science, similar technical field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience in data infrastructure with proven experience leading a team of engineers
- 5+ years of Java experience working in Linux/Unix environment
- 3+ years of Python and scripting experience preferred
- Strong experience developing infrastructure powering products and services operating in high performance, distributed systems in large-scale, open-source Linux/Unix environment
- Strong understanding of databases, distributed systems, data lakes, data warehouses, workflow systems and event streaming
- Experience with modern, large scale data processing technologies such as Hadoop, Hive, Pig, Spark, Presto and Impala
- Experience with pub/sub pipelines and dataflows such as Kafka, SQS, MQTT
- Experience with Elasticsearch and search engine capabilities
- Experience with API design and gRPC
- Experience with AWS technologies such as Redshift, Athena, S3, RDS, ECS and SNS
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and coordinate complex API design and implementation activities across teams in agile sprints with minimal direction
McDonald's is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald's provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Back to top