Strategic Sourcing Manager (Restaurant Software Technology)
- Chicago, IL
Refer A Friend
McDonald's is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald's, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we're excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every single requirement!
You will be within the Global Strategic Sourcing Services (GSSS) group (part of GSCS - Global Supply Chain & Sustainability organization) responsible for the indirect sourcing function within McDonald's. GSSS contributes directly to the bottom line performance of the company. This team consults with leaders throughout the company and supports initiatives that are driving McDonald's into the future. The Strategic Sourcing Manager will be responsible for sourcing and category management activities for the Technology category, which entails developing sourcing strategies for assigned categories, leading sourcing events and cross-functional teams, initiating and fostering relationships with partners, developing, establishing and prioritizing activities for the team to achieve objectives. This position will report to the Director, Technology Sourcing, and will work closely with other team members, key support departments, critical partners in the company owned restaurants, franchisee base, and corporate offices. This position may manage additional resources.
Accountabilities include, but are not limited to:
- Role resides within the Restaurant sub-team of GSSS, Technology which owns approx. $800m spend per annum on behalf of McDonald's, it's functions, owner/operators & restaurants.
- Ownership of the Restaurant Software Sourcing Category, with direct responsibility to develop the strategy, management of selection process and contracting for products/solutions with a $250-300m annum spend. Products/Solutions are offered on behalf of our corporation as approved products to our franchisee and direct licensee markets for adoption, covering a scope of approximately 120+ markets in which McDonald's operates & 38,000 restaurants
- Develops and leads the Strategic Sourcing Strategy for assigned categories
- Develops and fosters strategic and operational partner relationships necessary to advance vision of GSSS and delivery on set strategies
- Leads and champions all steps within Strategic Sourcing process, including developing team members, updating process and tools for ongoing continuous improvement
- Conducts outreach and alignment of sourcing process with other organizations within McDonald's
- Develops new projects pipeline, forecasting required resources and benefits
- Advocates GSSS vision and mission
Spend Analysis Process Ownership
- Leads annual spend analysis refresh, including developing recommendations for category value and savings opportunities
- Validates baseline spend analysis for sourcing initiatives
- Spearheads savings realization reporting, including methodology and reporting
- Runs spend analysis tool and trains subordinates on tools & methodology
- Stays informed on latest industry trends within category space
Strategic Sourcing Execution
- Partners with other Sourcing Managers to identify processes, metrics and tools to optimize procurement activities
- Effectively develops and executes category sourcing projects to generate required savings and increase extracted value out of supplier relationships, including the following steps:
- Extraction of clear supplier requirements from partners, including metrics for unacceptable, expected and above expectation designations.
- Applying Decision Making (DAI) methodology to determine roles, strategy and tactics for contributing resources during the sourcing process
- Negotiating, structuring, and analyzing the deal, including contractual Terms and Conditions
- Ensuring effective objective supplier selection event performance criteria and supporting the supplier selection process
- Providing expert judgment on the value of the deal
- Supporting and leading execution activities
- Supporting the development of project plans, deliverables, metrics and achievements for associated projects
- Collaborates with key partners to deploy effective strategic sourcing strategies for select spend categories and to increase the ability to use volume and spend
- Develops plans for deploying agreements to suppliers
- Communicates team results to senior partners
Educational/Previous Experience Requirements:
- Bachelors' Degree in IT, Business, Supply Chain, or STEM fields required. MBA preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years' experience in strategic sourcing or commensurate experience in related global scope functions including complex software licensing agreements and how they are structured.
- C.P.M. (Certified Purchasing Manager) or C.I.P.S. (Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply) designation is a plus
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Proficient at communicating conclusions to leadership in a clear and concise manner. Including excellent presentation skills
- Possess a working knowledge of procurement standard methodologies, including supplier negotiations, selection, evaluation, management, and development; must be able to demonstrate "hands-on" experience
- Think critically and structure analyses to solve poorly defined problems
- Negotiate to "grow the pie" and provide mutually beneficial contracts and business relationships
- Build positive working relationships both internally and externally to provide McDonald's with goods and services at the lowest Total Cost of Ownership and lowest risk
- Communicate effectively via written and oral methods
- Able to problem solve and search for answers using internal and external network/sources
- Organized and able to effectively manage a number of responsibilities/projects at once
- Able to influence internal and external partners
- Capable of leading, directing, and developing others
- Capable of working effectively in multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated ability to self-start, determining work steps based upon management direction
- Able to align own activities with group's goals and strategies
- Possess natural curiosity, asking questions when necessary to understand a problem
- Excellent at fostering and managing strategic relationships with internal/external customers and suppliers, external company counterparts, and industry and trade associations to garner standard methodologies to continually enhance procurement and spend management processes
- Provide direction, manage performance, and ensure staff development for both direct reports and dotted-line reports during sourcing projects
- Build successful and robust working teams
McDonald's is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald's provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Back to top