Senior UX Designer / Design Systems
- Chicago, IL
Refer A Friend
McDonald's is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald's, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we're excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every single requirement!
We have built a new Digital Customer Engagement ("DCE") team to develop and deploy smart digital investments that improve experiences for our customers and drive visits, sales and cash flow for the system. DCE's vision is to make digital experiences more personal, more convenient and better value for our customers with an agile 'test, learn and improve' mindset. The role of the DCE team is to set the overall digital strategy and define digital customer solutions across ordering, payment, personalization, loyalty, and delivery. In addition to setting the overall digital vision and strategy, DCE will help markets accelerate opportunities, consolidate lessons to share across markets, measure progress and drive continuous improvement and enhancements to the McDonald's customer experience.
As an experienced Senior UX/UI Designer, you'll bring a high level of strategy and craftsmanship to the design details that bring the design language to life. You're outstanding at identifying common design patterns throughout web and native mobile platforms and adept at implementing these patterns into our system. You champion and enforce best practices while introducing modern and accessible components for our ever-evolving digital channels and products.
You enjoy collaborating with and mentoring designers, guiding the design process to help others grow. You assist in critical thinking, planning and can anticipate future needs. You're an ambassador for McDonald's Global Brand and visual identity. You uphold consistency but are flexible and open to accommodate change.
You'll join a team that launches McDonald's first design system across the company as you partner closely with the UX team, product teams, engineers and McDonald's agency partners and report to the Sr. UX Design Manager for Design System and QA on the Digital Products and Experience team.
- Evaluate and develop system-level design components that create a unified user experience across the McDonalds digital ecosystem, providing solutions that improve experiences and not just a solitary feature
- Collaborate with other system designers and the accessibility team to steer the overall direction and ensure inclusive design is upheld.
- Initiate, lead and facilitate design discussions, workshops, and whiteboarding sessions.
- Partner with product managers and engineering to create, modify and deliver system-level designs that scale across a variety of audiences, abilities, devices, and platforms
- Closely collaborate with the product and engineering teams to understand business, technical, user requirements and dependencies
- Communicate designs, verbally and visually, to stakeholders and other team members
- Productively address and manage any feedback
- Provide clear documentation for your designs and work with engineering through the implementation process, reviewing and ensuring designs are accurately executed
- Educate other designers, engineers, and product managers on how to use our design system and evangelize the system
- Proven experience in omnichannel digital UX/UI design - native app design a must
- Strong visual and UI design skills
- Understanding of visual design principles, including layout, typography, color theory, and information hierarchy
- Understanding of fundamental user-centered design principles and methodologies
- Experience creating, contributing to, or consuming component-based design systems
- Understanding of native mobile and responsive design methodologies and patterns
- Experience in Sketch, Figma, InVision, After Effects, Keynote, PowerPoint, Excel, Jira, Confluence
- Ability to concisely document and express interface and interaction guidelines that can be readily understood by leadership and applied by engineers
- Knowledge of WCAG accessibility standards
- Experience working in Agile delivery environments where the pace is fast, continuous and a focus on execution is critical
- Bachelor's Degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, or related field
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Experience with motion design and front end development is a plus
McDonald's is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact email@example.com
McDonald's provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Back to top