Director, Media and External Engagement
- Chicago, IL
Refer A Friend
McDonald's is proud to be one of the most recognized brands in the world, with restaurants in over 100 countries that serve 70 million customers daily. As the global leader in the food service industry, our legacy of innovation and hard work continues to drive us.
From drive thru updates to delivery to mobile order and pay, we are innovating quickly and growing. Joining McDonald's means thinking big and preparing for a career that can have influence around the world.
At McDonald's, we see every day as a chance to create positive impact. We lead through our values centered on inclusivity, service, integrity, community and family. From support of Ronald McDonald House Charities to our Youth Opportunity project and sustainability initiatives, our values keep us dedicated to using our scale for good: good for our customers, people, industry and planet. We also offer outstanding benefits including a sabbatical program, tuition assistance and flexible work arrangements.
While most of us are working remote during COVID-19, we're excited to get back to our state-of-the-art headquarters in the booming West Loop of downtown Chicago! It's set up to be a global hub that cultivates collaboration:
- Take a class at Hamburger University
- Sample future items in our Test Kitchen
- Utilize the latest technology to connect with your team around the globe
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to the diversity of our crew members, staff, operators, and suppliers. We promote an inclusive work environment that creates feel-good moments for everyone. We are interested in people who enhance our company culture: Does this role interest you? We encourage you to apply even if you don't meet every single requirement!
We are building a Global Communications function to transform how we manage, measure and strategically plan our global reputation activity.
To support the function, the Director, Media and External Engagement, is responsible for overseeing day-to-day operations of the Media and External Engagement team and leading external crisis response for the Global and U.S. Communications Teams. Reporting to the Senior Director for Media Relations and External Engagement, this role will be responsible for real-time development and execution of critical communications plans that protect and build reputation, overseeing all incoming media requests to the press team and leading the team in a regular cadence of engagement, education and relationship building with reporters. This person works closely with Issues & Insights and Strategies and Campaigns to keep a pulse on the external issues that have the potential to impact reputation and in the development of response plans.
To achieve these objectives, this Director will build trusted relationships with functions across the business.
Key Responsibilities: >
- Manage Global Communications Team processes for triaging incoming/crisis
- Lead and coach media relations managers and supervisors on essential communications response to inbound inquiries and crisis issues.
- Lead integrated (system, owned, social, paid) communications response to crisis and issues management situations.
- Work cross-functionally to identify issues that may impact McDonald's and create and maintain issue briefs that outline strategic communications responses and rules of engagement for those issues.
- Work with Issues & Insights to build social, media and partner listening protocols to identify risks, monitor the conversation, and measure performance.
- Protecting Reputation>
- Lead media relations managers and supervisors in a regular cadence of outreach and education to media to get ahead of key issues that may impact the brand.
- Cultivate relationships with media and editors to support strategic storytelling.
- Lead long term planning for media engagement strategies to get ahead of issues.
- Other Responsibilities>
- Lead communications to key partners within the business regarding media issues and competitor news.
- Oversee work with Issues & Insights to establish and maintain system for measuring how media output is supporting Global Communications goal of building customer trust in McDonald's
- Support execution of annual tabletop exercises within Global Communications and with Global Enterprise Risk Management team.
- Maintain process for approval of statements and media content and work with Global Communications and U.S. Communications leaders to refine and build new processes where needed.
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, English, communications, business or liberal arts
- Previous experience, preferably within in corporate or political communications role or agency, as well with people management.
- Significant experience leading reputation management and crisis communications, including on the record experience with media.
- Proven ability to support and counsel senior-level executives and build trust within a highly matrixed organization.
- Strong business knowledge with a demonstrated ability to understand business strategy and how to use communications as a mechanism to drive that strategy.
- Natural storyteller with excellent speaking, writing and editing skills.
- The ability to thrive in fast-paced environments, while being flexible, collaborative and deadline driven.
- The ability to influence without authority and motivate others toward common objectives.
- A critical problem solver with a bias for action; understands how to drive to clarity amidst ambiguity
- Experience in project management and large-scale event planning/implementation.
- Communications experience including message development, message distribution via myriad channels, building relationships with reporters, and writing communications plans.
McDonald's is committed to providing qualified individuals with disabilities reasonable accommodations to perform the essential functions of their jobs. Additionally, if you (or another applicant of whom you are aware) require assistance accessing or reading this job posting or otherwise seek assistance in the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
McDonald's provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to sex, sex stereotyping, pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, age, disability status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, protected military or veteran status, citizenship status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Back to top