Senior Counsel, Data and Services, Global
- London, United Kingdom
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team - one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Senior Counsel, Data and Services, Global
• Mastercard is looking for an energized corporate/commercial attorney to join its dynamic legal team to serve as a legal partner to Data & Services (D&S) group of Mastercard. Mastercard D&S provides end-to-end solutions through its innovative and proprietary transaction data analyses, data-driven consulting, and marketing and loyalty services to help our clients strategically optimize, streamline, and grow their businesses.
• Under the direction of the Vice President, Senior Managing Counsel, Data & Services, this position will provide the legal and general support for the D&S Product Development, Product Management, and Strategy & Innovation business teams in Europe.
• The position will be located in London, UK or Puchase.
• Advise on legal, regulatory, reputational, and liability matters for new and existing products under an agile product development environment. Research on local law, conduct jurisdictional reviews, and collaborate with subject matter experts on data privacy, regulatory, IP, and other issues.
• Support the integration of a recently acquired entity into the broader D&S business, including assessment of operational impacts
• Structure, draft, and negotiate proof of concept and pilot agreements in an agile and minimally viable product environment.
• Assist Senior Managing Counsel in closely monitoring and staying tuned with D&S Europe strategy and direction, connecting the dots and understanding big picture and helping to guide the rest of the legal team to support the business accordingly and assisting in keeping the legal team proactive and ahead.
• Assist Senior Managing Counsel in advising on the impact of M&A activities of the D&S business and operationalizing and integrating acquired businesses, including impacts to the broader Mastercard organization such as our Franchise operations
• Structure, draft, and negotiate commercial agreements related to M&A activities and collaborate closely with our M&A legal team on potential acquisitions and investments.
• Leadership and liaison roles in aligning and collaborating across various business and legal teams;
• Collaborate with team members on product development and go-to-market implementation;
• Strategic partner and trusted advisor to a demanding business unit; High level of interaction with business clients;
• Manage wide-ranging issues such as data usage/privacy, intellectual property, compliance, regulatory, and tax by partnering with subject matter experts in these areas and other stakeholder teams, and balancing these issues against reputational risk to ensure product constructs and commercial agreements are consistent with corporate strategy, internal policies and procedures and applicable laws and regulations;
• Support sales and execution initiatives in defined markets within Europe.
All About You:
• Strong global experience in supporting product development and product management
• Solid transactional training and experience (preferably from a highly reputable law firm); Must have strong drafting and negotiations skills with the ability to manage complex issues and deal structure;
• Ability to operate in an agile and less than full information environment and ability to make quick but calculated decisions while managing risk effectively;
• Must be pragmatic, solutions-oriented, business-friendly, creative, nimble, thought provoker, and an advocate for the business and have a "let's make it happen" attitude; Must have leadership skills in bringing different perspectives together and work through competing priorities;
• Must be able to work independently and collaboratively, but also take direction from manager and other team members, as appropriate;
• Must multi-task effectively in an extremely fast-paced team environment with short turnaround times;
• Must have strong communication skills to interact with clients and colleagues;
• Must be a team player and willing to take on responsibilities and roles that support the team, region, department and the company;
• Must be interested in significant contact with the business clients on a daily basis
• A Juris Doctorate degree (or non-U.S. equivalent) and admitted to bar (or non-U.S. equivalent) and in good standing
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive and the job holder may be required to undertake additional duties from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the D&S business.
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video and are onboarding new hires remotely. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we're all in this together.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
Back to top