Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world's fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Looking for an advanced Performance Architect with extensive experience and willing to
take ownership for platform performance from the inception to delivery that will also help support
performance for complex financial platforms while in production. This position is for someone with
advanced technical knowledge who really likes to dig deep and uncover the smallest detail around
Be a part of the central Performance Engineering team at Mastercard. The chosen candidate for this
position will be an advanced Systems Performance Architect and someone that is fluent in C/C++ and Java
programming languages and shell scripting (Korn/Bash).
The ideal candidate will be very familiar with both development and operational aspects of any program/component
to provide guidance/consultation/performance-testing with respect to software component under consideration.
Candidate will need to interface with product delivery teams and also align infrastructure configurations for best overall performance optimization opportunities.
They will provide guidance and testing services to architects, developers, operations personnel, network
personnel, etc. with respect to helping teams design and develop high performing robust and scalable
applications that operate with a predictable platform design with respect to capacity. This position
will help lead performance discipline throughout software development lifecycle to analyze business
requirements and customer preferences, and recommend best performance practices in
working with various application delivery teams. They will share technical acumen with both DEV and
operations teams while they measure, test, design, inspect, and be ultimately helpful in
driving delivery of high performing/high scalable solutions at MasterCard using an agile
methodology. This candidate will conduct both manual and automated performance testing, manage
performance defects, analyze/recommend and troubleshoot performance issues covering platform hardware analysis,
scalability, and application profiling (Splunk, Dynatrace, Databases, etc). They will partner with
operations teams and bridge the gap between understanding of software and infrastructure when it
comes to knowledge around performance. The candidate will continue to find better and more
efficient ways to help MasterCard assure quality and scale its platforms while meeting customer
needs. They will continue to drive the Performance Engineering practice.
1. Production Performance Analysis and Tuning of Java and traditional C/C++ (native) products/platforms.
2. Create Performance Test Plans for MasterCard products.
3. Perform release and software patch performance testing of Financial Product Suites
4. Perform Code reviews to assure code is adhering to best performance practices and assist with performance related problem resolutions.
5. Provide consultation/implementation instructions for tuning software for best performance
6. Analyze Oracle/Postgres/SqLite database related performance issues.
7. Work with both onshore and offshore talent to complete performance related tasks.
8. Adhere to and enforce consistent company and department testing standards and procedures.
9. Provide weekly status information regarding progress and provide presentations to stakeholders.
Must have good communication skills.
10. Work across many problem domains to help with performance related issues as assigned.
11. Tune JVM(s), C/C++ Libraries, system configurations, TCP/IP services, MQ related services etc. for
clustering/optimization opportunities. Candidate must have a basic understanding of tuning Linux/Aix servers and/or containers.
12. Understand Network latencies, especially around geolocation and bandwidth dependencies for optimal performance of the component/program.
13. Experience with Splunk, Dynatrace, LoadRunner or JMeter (or other load generation tool).
14. Good understanding of load balancing, compression, optimization techniques, etc.
15. Good understanding of TCP/IP sockets, UDP, and Network performance analysis using Wireshark
16. Have good understanding of performance design patterns and anti-patterns (Chaos Testing experience is a plus).
17. Experience with JEE/Java distributed platforms is a plus
18. Perform Capacity Planning for various platforms.
19. Fluency in C/C++ and shell scripting is mandatory.
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact email@example.com and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.
See Inside the Office of Mastercard
Mastercard operates one of the world’s fastest payment processing networks, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments, and businesses in hundreds of countries around the world. The company’s products and solutions aim to make everyday activities such as shopping, traveling, running a business, and managing finances easy, secure, and efficient for everyone.
Back to top