Chief Data Protection Officer
Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world's fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless ®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Chief Data Protection Officer
The Chief Data Protection Officer will be responsible for the creation, implementation and ongoing maintenance of a robust privacy and data protection program for the company in China. The role will also provide day-to-day privacy and data protection support to business teams, and will review and ensure that all collection, use, storage and transfer of data is in accordance with data-related laws and internal policies and procedures. The role will also involve reviewing and advising on existing and proposed data-related laws relating to the collection, use, storage and transfer of data.
The ideal candidate will be able to think and act strategically and tactically with respect to the needs and objectives of the company while managing risk appropriately and ensuring the company remains compliant with law, including:
•Develop and implement the company's privacy and data protection strategy, with input from senior management where appropriate
•Develop and implement a robust privacy and data protection program for the company
•Provide leadership and engagement with cross-functional team-mates in the development of products, services, campaigns, systems and processes, utilizing a privacy-by-design methodology
•Analyze new and existing business initiatives that collect, store, analyze, manage, and transfer of data with the aim of identifying relevant privacy and data usage issues and the relevant process and infrastructure requirements to ensure compliance of such initiatives with applicable privacy and data protection and data transfer laws in China and to ensure consistency with the company's policies and standards
•Develop and implement processes and controls that address applicable privacy and data protection requirements in China including: access to data, managing privacy and data protection policies and notices, preparing and filing local regulatory registrations where required, and managing cardholder and government requests for data
•Conduct privacy impact assessments for products, services and systems, where appropriate
•Review data-related laws (new laws and changes to laws), and provide useful advice to business teams on the potential impact of these laws
•Increase awareness among business clients and colleagues regarding privacy and data protection and data transfer laws in China through training and other initiatives
•Work with relevant internal and external stakeholders on testing and auditing privacy and data protection processes and governance
•Work with the Chief Legal and Compliance Officer with the review and negotiation of applicable privacy and data protection language in agreements with affiliates, vendors, and customers.
All About You
• Bachelor of Laws or Juris Doctor required from an established and reputable law school in the People's Republic of China
• Licensed to practice in one or more countries
• Solid privacy and data protection related experience required
• Understanding and track record of dealing with data protection laws and requirements for the protection and transfer of data
• Familiarity with financial services industry, payment or other digital interactive technology preferred
• Relevant post-qualification experience in a reputable law firm and/or an MNC.
• Strong analytic capabilities and an ability to work on complex regulatory and business problems. Attention to detail is a must
• Capability and eagerness to dive-deep into the technology, and work with product and operations and technology teams when applying privacy principles
• Superior time management, planning, and organizational skills with an ability to excel at multi-tasking in a fast paced environment
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with proven experience in relationship building and partnering. Must work well in both team and individual settings
• Must possess fluent Chinese and English language (oral and written) skills
Equal Opportunity Employer
Meet Some of Mastercard's Employees
VP, Product Development & Innovation
Charlotte and the ACH Payments Team focus on the strategy, development, and commercialization of new products leveraging real-time payments technology. The team was formed in light of Mastercard’s entry into the real-time payments space and acquisition of the UK-based company Vocalink.
Back to top