Editorial: Transportation Reporter
Mashable is seeking a enthusiastic, highly qualified and slightly gonzo reporter looking to write impactful stories about cars and transportation for our digital-savvy audience. Your passion for cool cars is only matched by your fascination with the technologies transforming the industry -- self-driving, alternative fuels, ride sharing and more. You know the players and can recite technical details by heart, but you also have a instinct for what regular people care about and know how to boil wonky information down -- discarding what's extraneous and emphasizing the cool and relevant.
You're more than willing to jump behind the wheel, strap on a helmet, fire up an app, grab a joystick, and press "Go" in the name of a good story. Wild vehicle concepts give you a tingle, and you're eager to jump into Twitter discussions about high-speed rail and flying cars.
You know when to write fast and when to write thoughtfully, and excel at doing both. You rock at headlines. You know the difference between less and fewer, and it irks you when someone says one when they mean the other. You know your way around a camera and are comfortable ON camera. You devour social media and love to share things that excite you to your followers. And you can't wait to get started bringing your authoritative voice on transportation to the vast Mashable audience -- on every platform.
The Day to Day
- Lead Mashable's coverage of cars and transportation
- Research and write original reporting, analysis and more on topics disruptive in the transportation industries
- Attend industry events; some travel
- Aggressively seek out original news and hands-on experience with the latest transportation tech
- Grow an already-established network of contacts and sources in the transportation industries
- Maintain close relationships with the major companies in the field
- Other duties as determined by the Tech Editor
- Minimum 5 years experience covering transportation for a major media company
- Proven self-starter with authoritative voice
- Good instincts on when to go "full Top Gear" for a story
- Ability to turn over clean, well-written copy fast
- Willingness to experiment with diverse storytelling tools, including but not limited to Snapchat, Instagram and live video
- Established network of contacts
- Experience working for a website
- Team player
- Strong social media presence
Mashable is a media and entertainment company for superfans. We’re not for the casually curious. Our proprietary Velocity technology suite gives us the unique ability to combine creativity with data. Our entertainment series and editorial coverage are smart, clever, ambitious, in-depth and first. We devour culture and tech. Our ideas shape the future and we speak to new influencers -- the early adopters who obsess with us around the globe.
Back to top