Editorial: Transportation Reporter
Mashable is looking for an experienced and enthusiastic reporter to lead our coverage about the industries surrounding transportation. That includes everything happening with cars -- driverless, connected, alternative fuels, ride-sharing and more -- but also high-speed rail, air travel and future technologies (e.g. space tourism, Hyperloop). The ideal candidate will have several years' experience reporting on some or all of these areas, with a focus on how the transportation sector is being disrupted, and how this progress is affecting the way everyday people get from place to place. In short, we want someone who can report about this subject in an entirely new light.
You should have a strong network of sources, familiarity with how the industries work behind the scenes, and a track record of breaking news in the field. You should understand Detroit and Silicon Valley in equal measure and possess a keen awareness of the automotive business, how it works now and what the future looks like. Your web browser typically has dozens of tabs open with articles from car and technology news sites. You're active (possibly too active) on social media, and know the difference between historic and historical. You have experience writing for a general audience and can write clean, compelling copy very quickly.
The Day to Day
- Lead Mashable's coverage of transportation
- Research and write original reporting and analysis on topics disruptive in the transportation industries
- Attend industry events and meetings; some travel
- Aggressively seek out original news and hands-on experience with the latest transportation tech
- Grow an already-established network of contacts and sources in the transportation industries
- Maintain close relationships with the major companies in the field
- Other duties as determined by the Tech Editor
- Minimum 5 years experience covering transportation for a major media company
- Proven self-starter with authoritative voice
- Ability to turn over clean, well-written copy fast
- Willingness to experiment with diverse storytelling tools, including but not limited to Instagram, Facebook Live and Snapchat
- Established network of contacts
- Experience working for a website
- Team player
- Strong social media presence
Mashable is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture and entertainment content for its dedicated and influential audience around the globe.
Back to top