Editorial: Science Reporter
Mashable’s science team is seeking a talented, experienced, and nimble reporter to work at its New York headquarters. The science reporter will be responsible for covering stories across a broad range of scientific disciplines, from climate to health, innovations to space sciences. This reporter will be particularly focused on how science is shaping our lives and future.
Candidates with their own scientific obsessions, be it stories about volcanoes or wildlife, are also encouraged to apply.
This reporter will make extensive use of Mashable’s Velocity data platform to spot big science stories, and will possess the curiosity and reporting chops necessary to quickly and accurately report on these topics. In doing so, this reporter must be able to sort out clickbait science headlines from legitimate research.
This reporter will also be given opportunities to write long-form feature stories.
- Pitch ideas to members of the science team.
- Write and edit up to 3 shorter news stories and report on longer-term, in-depth pieces.
- Communicate with teams across the newsroom to tell science stories in a variety of formats.
- Fact-check stories from other editorial departments, including video.
- Based in the New York area
- At least 2 years of reporting experience for a digital news organization
- Undergraduate degree
- A sense of humor and willingness to be part of a dynamic team that partners with other departments throughout the newsroom
- A desire to experiment with covering science using Facebook Live, Snapchat, Mashable’s new mobile-first story format, and other social platforms
- Multimedia skills, including basic video editing experience and knowledge of Adobe After Effects
Nice to Haves
- A graduate degree in journalism, particularly science, environmental or health reporting
Mashable is a media and entertainment company for superfans. We're not for the casually curious. Our proprietary Velocity technology suite gives us the unique ability to combine creativity with data. Our entertainment series and editorial coverage are smart, clever, ambitious, in-depth and first. We devour culture and tech. Our ideas shape the future and we speak to new influencers -- the early adopters who obsess with us around the globe. We deliver nearly 2 billion content views a month, with more than 70 million monthly unique visitors across platforms.
Back to top