What's this role like?
As a Making/Packing Associate, you'll discover how our Five Principles - particularly Quality and Efficiency - make our factories as strong as possible. You'll play a big part in getting our brands to our consumers, using your great attention to detail to make sure all our operations are up to standard. Working closely with other Associates in the factory, you'll help them understand key priorities and be part of our incredible Supply Chain team.
What are we looking for?
- A can-do attitude and good knowledge of manufacturing, operating and safety guidelines
- A person who genuinely loves working in a team and can take initiative
- Someone who loves being active in their job - sitting at a desk all day isn't for you
What can you expect from Mars?
- Chance to work on well-known brands
- An industry-competitive starting salary of $21.50 per hour, and benefits package
- The opportunity to learn, develop and grow your career at Mars
• 401(k) matching
• Dental insurance
• Disability insurance
• Employee discount
• Flexible spending account
• Health insurance
• Life insurance
• Parental leave
• Referral program
• Retirement plan
• Tuition reimbursement
• Vision insurance
• 120 paid vacation hours per year, 40 paid sick hours per year and 88 paid holiday hours per year on January 1st, prorated from date of hire
The Technician safely and efficiently receives, analyzes and processes raw ingredients through four major areas/systems (receiving, batching, extrusion, and flavor enhancement) to make high quality pet food that meets or exceeds all specifications set by Mars Petcare in the amount and schedule dictated by business needs.
1. Perform all of the following duties on a rotational basis in the processing area of the plant. This includes operating all systems, performing all quality checks, maintaining conformance reports and system logs, and troubleshooting all aspects of each system
Extrusion - extrude mixed meal and dry kibbles that meet all quality specifications and optimize plant capacity.
2. Manage and set strategy for the four processing systems to ensure meeting or exceeding production schedule in the most efficient manner possible.
3. Maintain a safe and clean work environment to promote associate safety and product integrity.
4. Ability to actively address food safety and quality concerns.
5. Troubleshoot processing systems that are not performing properly and take corrective action to
ensure product quality while minimizing unnecessary downtime.
6. Improve operations through individual and group problem solving and provide leadership in solving problems on the floor and in meetings.
7. Promote high quality team environment through effective team work and self-management with a positive attitude.
8. Immediately notify making area mechanic of any issues that require support to resume operations in the event of downtime.
1. Participate in site action circles and focus groups as appropriate.
2. Train other area associates in operation of all areas and systems.
3. Other similar duties as assigned.
4. Must be able and willing to cover overtime in alignment with the site responsibility coverage policy.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Extruder operating experience is preferred.
- High School Diploma and 1 to 2 years of experience (manufacturing environment preferred).
- Good math, reading and writing skills.
- High level of mechanical aptitude and knowledge with good skills in troubleshooting and problem solving.
- Excellent housekeeping skills and knowledge of GMP's.
- Good knowledge of personal computers.
- Ability and willingness to develop and manage self, demonstrate self-directed workgroup leadership and contribute to efficiency, quality and cost optimization with minimal supervision and a positive attitude.
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Ability to work 8 hour rotating shifts under variable conditions such as heat, cold, high and /or confined spaces and have full mobility with ability to climb ladders and stairs and do repetitive bending and twisting.
- Ability to work with hazardous chemicals (phosphoric acid and sodium hydroxide) and work with exposure to pressurized steam.
- Forklift certified.