Senior Principal Scientist (SRA) - North America Health, Nutrition and Claims
The Senior Prinicipal Scientist SRA provides regulatory, scientific and nutrition expertise and leverages Scientific and Regulatory Affairs (SRA) network to enable the development and execution of Mars Wrigley (MW) nutrition, claims and health & wellness strategy for North America.
This position leads the development and execution of claims initiatives, nutrition, health and regulatory policy, and related issues management critical to MW. This position creates and coordinates aligned scientific messaging, and represents/leads MW in key external organizations, to create a scientifically based regulatory environment. This role creates and sustains a competitive advantage for MW and manages our Freedom to Operate agenda to support the achievement of Mars' overall business goals by leading the external influencing and internal strategy and execution related to MW SRA North America.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelors in Nutrition, Food Science or related medical science.
- Phd in Nutrition preferred
- Minimum of 5 years in the food industry with solid experience and knowledge of food regulatory and human health issues; demonstrated track record of working successfully across functions to achieve shared goals; and proven ability to interact cross-functionally at all levels within the organization are required.
- Preferred 10-15 years experience in scientific affairs / nutrition with food products and/or related product categories (such as food supplements, cosmetics) with proficiency in food law and nutrition policy.
- Experience working with trade associations and government agencies to clarify and resolve regulatory matters is required.
What would your key responsibilities be?
Health and Nutrition
Develops and communicates science-based information and positions, and provides scientific guidance to key internal stakeholders (Health & Wellness, Science, Technology, Product Development, Corporate Affairs, Legal, Senior Management) on oral health, ingredients, nutrition, claims, and emerging scientific and regulatory issues of interest to MW.Leads the management of scientific issues for MW. Strongly connected with other Mars businesses and corporate team, the Sr. Principal Scientist ensures that issues, trends, risks and opportunities are appropriately communicated to relevant R&D function and leaders, to help guide the business.Develops and maintains strong scientific networks, and works with other Mars segments to establish science policy and influence scientific opinions, external scientific environment and key opinion leaders that benefit and further the company's innovation and growth strategies. Manages scientific (e.g., oral health, nutrition and claims) programs related to products, ingredients, , functional ingredients, and other new technologies by working cross-functionally within MW, as well as with consultants and external inter-industry groups.
Leads scientific aspects of MW claims strategy for the North America, provides leadership and guidance across the SRA function and the business. Participates actively in the development of new concept, claims and communication.Directs MW claims review and approval activities and provides support for product innovation projects and product marketing initiatives in the region.Supports R&D teams by providing scientific guidance and consultation on proposed products and ingredients to assure that they meet nutritional guidelines, and desired labeling claims, and obtain approvals for ingredients and product claims.Provides regional governance to ensure compliance to MW and Mars global standards and polices related to health, nutrition and claims.
Leads any MAP (Monitor & Activate) sub-charters related to health and nutrition for the region to ensure regulatory trends are monitored with appropriate escalation and relevant positions/polices are developed and change impacts are properly executed internally.Provides timely regional technical input to Global or Corporate MAP charters related to health and nutrition to ensure regulatory trends are monitored with appropriate escalation occurs. Ensures health, nutrition and claims regulatory changes are reported (TRB) by appropriate associates in the region to meet quarterly SRA metrics related to horizon scanning.
What can you expect from Mars?
- The opportunity to learn, develop and take charge of your own career.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package.
- To be respected and valued.
- The Five Principles at the center of every decision
- The opportunity to work cross functionally, add value and impact a better world for generations to come.