Voluntary Benefits Consultant
- San Diego, CA
Department: Employee Health & Benefits
Reports To: principal and director, Employee Health & Benefits sales
Responsible for leading the strategy of voluntary lines, relative to revenue growth and client retention. This position will serve in a highly collaborative environment partnering with the Client Executives and Service Teams to deliver comprehensive product and service offerings and solutions to all accounts and prospects.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Oversee ongoing client service support for voluntary benefit clients.
- Create and execute a strategy to manage and grow a profitable practice and meet revenue goals.
- Partner with internal sales and service teams to drive sales and strategy by identifying and capturing new sources of revenue within assigned accounts.
- Collaborate with Sales team to successfully close opportunities.
- Develop case product and enrollment strategies to maximize growth and retention of accounts.
- Develop and manage strong carrier relations.
- Develop and maintain skills, knowledge and proficiencies required to be effective in sales techniques and in support of client strategies, goals and objectives.
- Evaluate enrollment solutions and provide recommendations on best fit for maximizing participation and revenue opportunity.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of voluntary products available in the market, as well as vendor offerings.
- Provide continuing education and updates to sales and service teams.
• Lead the client service team members to ensure
- Oversight of clients' legal documents such as contracts, plan documents, Summary Plan Descriptions and 5500's.
- Create an environment oriented to trust, open communication, and cohesive team effort.
- Facilitate problem solving and collaboration when faced with client difficulties.
- Focus the team on client requirements, familiarizing them with client specifications, work procedures and processes, quality standards, techniques and tools to support performance.
- Provide necessary business information to enhance the service team's and division's professional development.
- Provide oversight to ensure deliverables satisfy client requirements, cost and schedule.
- Work closely with Employee Health & Benefits Operations to obtain necessary resources to support the team's requirements, discuss project impediments, and to escalate issues which cannot be resolved by the team.
- Be a resource of industry knowledge and expertise by keeping abreast of new developments, regulations and industry trends.
- Ensure good file maintenance with documentation of account issues and maintenance of the Agency Management System.
• Continually staying abreast of emerging trends in the Voluntary space to provide adequate and innovative service to clients.
- Implementing changes and improvements within voluntary benefits for clients as seen fit.
- Delivering world class voluntary options in a timely manner respective to market trends.
Education and/or Experience
Successful candidate will be a service oriented individual with high personal standards and a hands-on work style. This position requires an individual who is comfortable working at a varying pace, managing multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, adjusting priorities often, and managing frequent interruptions.
• A minimum of 5 years' experience servicing group health and benefit products.
• Bachelor degree strongly preferred.
• Professional history must show increasing levels responsibility directly related to the performance of the above duties.
• Strong familiarity with and presence in the Employee Health & Benefits marketplace to include an understanding of the unique business industry needs, participation in educational and professional development associations, and working relationships with carriers and other broker agencies.
• Current technical knowledge and understanding of Employee Benefit federal and state legislation required.
• Superior leadership skills as evidenced by proactive and strategic thinking, ability to prioritize for productive outcomes, assertiveness in the presentation and selling of ideas, and sensitivity to the values and expectations of all constituents, including senior management and coworkers.
• Ability to make independent decisions and use good judgment in addressing and servicing client and team needs.
• Strong communication skills with the ability to provide non-technical explanations to technical matters, and present information in a clear, concise and accurate written and verbal format.
• Maintain a valid unrestricted Life and Disability License in California and meet the continuing education requirements. If involved in the sale of Long Term Care, the individual must maintain the proper certification through continuing education.
• Maintain a valid California driver's license and dependable transportation.
• Must have knowledge of personal computing with the ability and willingness to learn and use all computer programs as required.
Back to top