Underwriter - Victor O. Schinnerer
Victor O. Schinnerer & Company, Inc. is one of the largest and most experienced underwriting managers of specialty insurance programs in the world. At Schinnerer, underwriting management has been a distinct discipline for over 60 years. Our expertise lies in evaluating risks, implementing program marketing, developing and executing risk management activities, and servicing accounts on behalf of our insurance company partners. We then distribute these products through our distribution network of licensed brokers.
We are seeking an underwriter in the non-profit directors & officers liability program.
Underwriters are responsible for the renewal of existing business and the generation of new accounts. The candidate will determine terms and conditions for coverage and rates for program profitability. They are responsible for building relationships with the broker distribution force and negotiating coverage to ensure contracts are renewed and new business production goals are achieved. This position requires the ability to process a wide variety of activities quickly while maintaining strong attention to detail. Successful underwriters exhibit the characteristics of being disciplined, self-motivated, eager to continuously learn and work proactively. Success in this role is defined by strong account retention, new business production, technical analysis and documentation, and proactively undertaking opportunities to contribute to the group's success.
- Reviews and analyzes submissions for non-profit management liability coverages such as Directors & Officers, Employment Practices, and Fiduciary Liability.
- Identifies and analyzes information required for proper risk assessment including cross referencing with other departments
- Corresponds with other insurance professionals to achieve results despite market obstacles
- Assesses exposure and determines rates, terms and conditions of coverage in accordance with guidelines and uses judgment to completely evaluate risk, including potentially declining to offer terms
- Negotiates terms and conditions with brokers
- Develops or modifies policy wording when standard verbiage is not sufficiently comprehensive
- Binds coverage and accurately issues policies timely
- Volunteers to assist coworkers and management with projects and when work is uneven across territories
- Services current accounts
- Provides advice/expertise to peers regarding underwriting issues and solicits the same from peers
- Works independently without the need to have activities prescribed and managed
- 2-5 years of insurance related experience, management liability preferred but not required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to apply mathematical concepts to practical situations
- Strong analytical and judgment skills; excellent problem solving ability
- College degree, preferably in insurance or business administration
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
As part of the rotation program, Tiffany is learning strategic planning—how to grow a business not just organically but also through acquisition and possible divestitures.
Back to top