Sr Legal Consultant
The Legal Consultant will develop top-caliber analysis on complex legislation, regulations, court cases, HR strategy, customized plan design, compliance, and governance consulting issues. This position requires technical research, technical analytical abilities, communication skills and the ability to work with teams to identify and solve complex legal and technical issues on specific consulting projects and services.
To fulfill this role, the Legal Consultant will:
- Review current developments in the area of legal/technical expertise, undertake required research, prepare complex technical analyses and develop market-differentiating advice, insights, and solutions
- Analyze key policy, legislative and legal developments and issues, and share advice, insights and solutions with internal and external clients; review work prepared by others; may design and draft legal documents (i.e. plan documents, employment policies, communication to participants, plan governance and administrative materials).
- Act as legal/technical expert providing advice, insights and solutions to clients and consultants on unique legal/technical and compliance issues affecting strategies, programs, plans (design and operations), and practices.
- Present consulting capabilities to clients and prospective clients along with sales consultants, account managers, and business consultants.
- Identify marketing opportunities and review marketing and business focused materials for legal/technical accuracy.
- Remain abreast in their field of expertise through research and continuing education designed to enhance expertise pertaining to various human resources and legal/technical areas, including HR strategies, benefit plans, plan governance (federal and state compliance), employment policies and practices and operational/administrative processes.
To be considered for this opportunity, we require the following qualifications and experience:
- JD or Bachelors degree with significant legal/technical experience
- Minimum 8 years of legal/technical employee benefits experience
- Solid knowledge of HR practice, laws, plans and operations
- Ability to interact successfully with clients, consultants and other Legal Consultants
- Ability to analyze and communicate (writing, verbal) effectively
- Ability to coach and guide others
- Work effectively in areas of uncertainty
At Mercer, we make a difference in the lives of more than 110 million people every day by advancing their health, wealth, and careers. We're in the business of creating more secure and rewarding futures for our clients and their employees - whether we're designing affordable health plans, assuring income for retirement or aligning workers with workforce needs. Using analysis and insights as catalysts for change, we anticipate and understand the individual impact of business decisions, now and in the future. We see people's current and future needs through a lens of innovation, and our holistic view, specialized expertise, and deep analytical rigor underpin each and every idea and solution we offer. For more than 70 years, we've turned our insights into actions, enabling people around the globe to live, work, and retire well. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. At Mercer, we say we Make Tomorrow, Today. Visit www.mercer.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @Mercer.
Mercer LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Contract Review Specialist
Nancy reviews the contracts her clients either offer or receive from vendors, taking care to monitor the insurance requirements on the provided services.
Back to top