The Senior Underwriter for Torrent has the ability to underwrite large or complex new policies and renewals. Determines appropriate terms and conditions for coverage and rates for program profitability. Builds relationships with the broker distribution force. Negotiates quotes and ensures policies are issued as bound. Manages a territory or product line.
- Responds to requests from existing brokers or potential clients in order to secure business or enhance existing service.
- Reviews and analyzes submissions, examines past claims, and determines degree of risk.
- Assesses exposure and determines rates and terms and conditions of coverage in accordance with guidelines.
- Assists in the negotiations by providing backup information and data on best terms & conditions of individual accounts.
- Selects appropriate rating plans in order to make marginal commercial risks acceptable and profitable.
- Reviews commercial renewals that refer by obtaining necessary information for proper evaluation of the risk including loss experience, etc
- Review information resources like financial reports, inspections and internet or other sources in order to identify potential problems.
- Negotiates terms and conditions with brokers, binds coverage and initiates issuance of documents.
- Acts in a leadership role to various underwriting review meetings and general file consultation.
- Meets with representatives to discuss technical program issues.
- Acts as a knowledgeable resource in the product line, both inside and outside the office.
- Provides advice and expertise to other underwriters on underwriting issues.
- Communicates in a concise, tactful, prompt and effective manner both over the phone and by email.
- Assists in training of employees.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with agents, customers, coworkers and others.
- At management's direction, perform other duties that are not specifically set forth but inherent to the wholesale brokerage business.
Education (degree / diploma):
- Associate's Degree
- At least 6 years of industry related experience required.
Knowledge and skills (general and technical):
- Strong analytical and judgment skills and excellent problem solving ability.
- Strong communication skills
- Comfortable with MS Office Suite.
Other requirements (licenses, certifications, specialized training):
- In addition to proficiency with all Underwriter II requirements, must have full ANFI designation, must complete Introduction to Flood Claims, Increased Cost of Compliance training and issue policies with the exception of Submit for Rate and Special Rates.
- Will handle calls, chats and transaction processing simultaneously.
- CIC or CPCU designation preferred.
Marsh is a global leader in insurance broking and risk management. In more than 130 countries, our experts in every facet of risk and across industries help clients to anticipate, quantify, and more fully understand the range of risks they face. We work with clients of all sizes to define, design, and deliver innovative solutions to better quantify and manage risk. We offer risk management, risk consulting, insurance broking, alternative risk financing, and insurance program management services to businesses, government entities, organizations, and individuals around the world. To every client interaction we bring an unmatched combination of deep intellectual capital, industry-specific expertise, global experience, and collaboration. Since 1871, clients have relied on Marsh for trusted advice, to represent their interests in the marketplace, make sense of an increasingly complex world, and help turn risks into new opportunities for growth. Our more than 30,000 colleagues work on behalf of our clients, who are enterprises of all sizes in every industry, and include individuals, multinational organizations, and government entities worldwide. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. Visit www.marsh.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @MarshGlobal
Marsh and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity.
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliates are EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
Contract Review Specialist
Nancy reviews the contracts her clients either offer or receive from vendors, taking care to monitor the insurance requirements on the provided services.
Back to top