Senior (Re)insurance Accounting Specialist
Our property and casualty insurance clients often require consulting services to help them respond and adapt to regulatory issues and changes in the accounting environment that impact their financials and operations. To address this need, we are seeking an individual to be part of both our Structured Risk Specialty and Strategic Advisory unit. This position involves working with brokers, clients and reinsurers to be able to communicate the financial impact of reinsurance transactions and the impact of regulatory/legislative changes may have on a company's financials. This position also involves the ability to develop bespoke reinsurance/hedging solutions and communicate the impact of such solutions on the financial statements. The ideal candidate should have excellent technical accounting skills, strong communication skills and ability to work independently and collaboratively across the organization. This candidate should have the ability to analyze public financial statements to help create a pipeline for the firm. The candidate should have a strong insurance and reinsurance background. Strong Excel skills are required.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Liaise with our Analytics Team and Strategic Advisory Team to be the strategic lead in developing new models to understand the financial impact of reinsurance on the income statement and balance sheet.
- Liaise with Analytics team on analyzing and developing structured solutions and be able to explain concepts to clients
- Be able to communicate risks to financial statements and solutions to address such risks to clients and markets
- Evaluate the financial impact and cost of capital of the reinsurance solution using rating agency models and regulatory models
- Develop white papers on current accounting and regulatory issues
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with reinsurers, clients and colleagues
- Ability to network with CFO's of clients to build relationships
Requirements: (knowledge, skills, and abilities)
- Thorough knowledge of insurance/reinsurance concepts Excellent interpersonal skills for establishing and maintaining good client, reinsurer and internal relationships
- Excellent verbal and writing skills for complex communications (presentations, negotiations, etc.) with clients, markets and GC colleagues at many levels
- Strong ability to prioritize workload according to volume, urgency, etc. as well as the workload of others
- Strong ability to find creative solutions to new problems, as they arise
- Strong ability to be organized and pay attention to detail
- Strong ability to maintain compliance with professional standards, where applicable, as well as company-wide quality initiatives
- Strong ability to identify client needs and access and organize resources including senior management, to deliver solutions which meet or exceed client expectations
- Strong ability to manage large, complex clients and help them address issues proactively
- Strong ability to effectively communicate and implement strategic initiatives for the firm
- Work with discipline, industry, practice to sometimes identify and always encourage new product and service developments and marketing opportunities; lend technical support to them
- Strong ability to share information with other functional areas to enhance performance for the firm
- Strong ability to act as a role model and positive example for the organization
- Strong ability to express a point of view and challenge the status quo to move the organization forward
- Strong ability to be open and flexible to changes in the organization and marketplace
- Strong ability to contribute to talent recruitment and development
- Strong Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Ability to travel (including internationally), entertain, and attend meetings
- 8+ years of related experience
- Bachelor's degree
- Certifications Required: CPA
Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC, a leading global risk and reinsurance specialist, has over a 90-year history of providing integrated solutions to the (re)insurance industry. With over 2,300 professionals in more than 50 offices around the world, Guy Carpenter delivers a powerful combination of broking expertise, strategic advisory services and industry-leading analytics to help our clients achieve profitable growth. As our clients' most trusted and valuable reinsurance broker and strategic advisor, we leverage our intellectual capital to anticipate and solve for a range of emerging strategic business challenges and opportunities. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. Visit www.guycarpenter.com for more information and follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter @GuyCarpenter
Guy Carpenter & Company, LLC and its separately incorporated operating entities around the world are part of Marsh & McLennan Companies, a publicly held company (ticker symbol: MMC).
Marsh & McLennan Companies offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits and programs including: health and welfare, tuition assistance, 401K, employee assistance program, domestic partnership benefits, career mobility, employee network groups, volunteer opportunities, and other programs. For more information about our company, please visit us at: http://www.mmc.com/. We embrace a culture that celebrates and promotes the many backgrounds, heritages and perspectives of our colleagues and clients. For more information, please visit us at: www.mmc.com/diversity .
Marsh & McLennan Companies and its Affiliatesare EOE Minority/Female/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity employers.
Meet Some of Marsh & McLennan Companies's Employees
As part of the rotation program, Tiffany is learning strategic planning—how to grow a business not just organically but also through acquisition and possible divestitures.
Back to top